Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Exclamation Will lack of 4K be the DEATH of Xara?

Hello

I simply can't believe that after all this time Xara Designer Pro still doesn't have a 4K interface. >:^[

BACKGROUND
    Look, I personally, like many people who are even remotely serious about graphics I have a large, high resolution screen. e.g. Mine is 4K. To get clear that's 3840 x 2160 pixels.

Now, in order for my other Windows applications to be usable, I have had to set the Windows (v10 x64) scaling to way beyond 100%. In fact 175% scaling is the smallest that I can work with on my 27" monitor. Sorry but if I leave the scaling at 100% then my entire system become unusable, with the text way, way, WAY too small to read.

At least once a year, for the last 5+ years, I have tried to give Xara more money by upgrading. But I refuse point-blank to pay for a horribly blurred interface. So I am stuck, still using Xara Designer Pro 10 which I bought in 2014.

XDP is now on version 16.3, but it still has a blurred interface.

WHY? No other applications that I know of still have this problem! The Microsoft Office Suite, all the Adobe packages (e.g. Photoshop, Illustator etc), Mindjet's Mind Manager, every little utility I use like FastStone Capture and GoodSync... even X1 Search who are barely awake regarding updates... ALL of them have pin-sharp menus and pin-sharp text & graphics everywhere you look.
    But not Xara. Oh no... they know better. They know that we don't really need to see sharp graphics. No-no-no, what we customers really need are all kinds of bells & whistles...

WTF? What's WRONG with these people?

Look, I used to be a HUGE fan of Xara. I have used Xara since Xara Studio (1994). It used to be my all-time-favourite application.

But now I utterly despair. What am I missing?

J

Default Re: Will lack of 4K be the DEATH of Xara?

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Hello

I simply can't believe that after all this time Xara Designer Pro still doesn't have a 4K interface. >:^[

BACKGROUND
    Look, I personally, like many people who are even remotely serious about graphics I have a large, high resolution screen. e.g. Mine is 4K. To get clear that's 3840 x 2160 pixels.

Now, in order for my other Windows applications to be usable, I have had to set the Windows (v10 x64) scaling to way beyond 100%. In fact 175% scaling is the smallest that I can work with on my 27" monitor. Sorry but if I leave the scaling at 100% then my entire system become unusable, with the text way, way, WAY too small to read.

At least once a year, for the last 5+ years, I have tried to give Xara more money by upgrading. But I refuse point-blank to pay for a horribly blurred interface. So I am stuck, still using Xara Designer Pro 10 which I bought in 2014.

XDP is now on version 16.3, but it still has a blurred interface.

WHY? No other applications that I know of still have this problem! The Microsoft Office Suite, all the Adobe packages (e.g. Photoshop, Illustator etc), Mindjet's Mind Manager, every little utility I use like FastStone Capture and GoodSync... even X1 Search who are barely awake regarding updates... ALL of them have pin-sharp menus and pin-sharp text & graphics everywhere you look.
    But not Xara. Oh no... they know better. They know that we don't really need to see sharp graphics. No-no-no, what we customers really need are all kinds of bells & whistles...

WTF? What's WRONG with these people?

Look, I used to be a HUGE fan of Xara. I have used Xara since Xara Studio (1994). It used to be my all-time-favourite application.

But now I utterly despair. What am I missing?

J
    While I am 100% (even 175%) behind you, I can use my Xara Desktop applications (XDA) without menus in most cases.
    Menu selection slows down most workflows. Luckily, few options go down to the third level.

Even a small Toolbar and its Flyouts are quick and simple to remember. The Button Palette can be use to customise a specific Toolbar.

Most of the Dialogs are non-modal so can be kept open. You can do the same with the Galleries and even the Button Palette.
    I have a second smaller second monitor at a lower resolution where I can park these windows and view "at scale".

I also use ZoomIt with its LiveZoom toggle. i use Ctrl+Alt+PageDown for left hand and Alt GR+PageDown for right hand as neither are use in Xara.

On the subject of Key Shortcuts, XDPX has the ability to customise these (Alt-U-H).
    Most work out of the box and I am sure Ctrl+F (Bring to Front) is used by most as you quickly set up a cadence with Ctrl+F, Shift+Ctrl+F, Shift+Ctrl+B & Ctrl+B.

I, finally, have a Gaming Keyboard and use M2 > (G1 to G6) M3 > (G1 to G6) to set up common tasks. M2+G1 to open all non-modal Dialogs, M2+G2 to repeat Duplicate, ... M3 calls up support applications from the web or my PC.
    I am sure i could get more out of it.

Finally, the mouse is the XDA's best friend. Left and right click select and drags with a smattering of meta-keys and a dash of Tool icons works miracles.
    SmartShapes are in my opinion the killer to most good workflows I have developed. Text Inside breaks logic.

Hope this acts as a palliative until Xara reacts.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Alternatively, get down to Currys and splash your £100+ upgrade cash on a nice 22” screen. Problem solved!

And yes, sadly I do think lack of hi-res support is ending DPX as a professional graphics app.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Alternatively, get down to Currys and splash your £100+ upgrade cash on a nice 22” screen. Problem solved!
    Obviously my Post needed TL;DR at the top...
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have a second smaller second monitor at a lower resolution where I can park these windows and view "at scale".
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sorry your having a bad day. No one should stick to using one tool, feel free to invest in other programs.

alternatively invest in a larger screen say 55 inch, then you might be able to read at native resolution 4K, although you will need to move your head a bit more
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Obviously my Post needed TL;DR at the top...

Acorn
    Oops, I missed that line about your second screen. Can’t say I always understand them, but I do always read your posts! I’ve never used a two monitor setup before but can imagine it could be useful. Off topic, but do you happen to know if built-in intel graphics chips like HD Graphics 4600 support two HD screens without degradation to performance?
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    do you happen to know if built-in intel graphics chips like HD Graphics 4600 support two HD screens without degradation to performance?
    Short answer, yes it will work just fine.

Longer answer, dual screens work a lot better if they are the same physical size and resolution. I'm presuming the 4600 is laptop graphics and in Extend mode (1 image spanned over 2 screens) you may find it awkward dragging windows from one screen to the other. The keyboard shortcut in Win 10 to chnage dual screen settings is Winkey+P.