Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 2 Recently updated websites- looking for comments

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Thanks for the feedback - definitely will take onboard these comments -especially the pure white background.

maybe a couple of points to make on the comments - in regard to the ironwork site - whatever we are doing it sure works well from an SEO point - we turn away about 70% of the leads it generates because it generates so much business and we consistently get comments from new customers saying how the appearance and content of the site were what made them contact us and not our competitors.
    OK, that seems like a good result, but not what I would have expected.

loading time- again never mentioned and various SEO tools rank it very well on that score. so not sure why slow loading is being encountered. we still need to do alt text on most images but most are optimised -doing that will further improve SEO
    I'd expect your SEO to be good because of the volume of text and repetition. I took the time to look again and the sites have perfectly reasonable load times and looking at site 1, no large images, so I don't know why it took so long when I looked yesterday.

In regard to amount of text and content - this site ranks through the roof, so we wont change a formula that seems to be working so well. At the end of the day it's how much business it generates that matters.
    If it's working, then fine. The success of a website doesn't just depend on how it looks - if it generates more work than you can cope with that may say more about supply and demand in your area and the quality of the work that you do.

Even though the diabetes site gets favourable comments on appearance, it ranks badly and we plan to add a lot of content in a way that still allows quick reading / skimming but has links to more in depth info for those who want it and to boost rankings.

Appreciate you taking the time to look over and comment Paul.
    Good luck and I'm glad I haven't upset you. It's shocking to see the extent of the fires in Australia right now, so be safe and I hope the situation improves very soon.

Hi everyone, this is Lisa. I'm the graphic designer who created www.reversediabetes.com.au and have been busy tweaking and finessing the files for a while now. Thanks for all the feed back. I have just done some further changes taking on board some of the comments. I'll explore the off white background option too.
    The main change has been the blog page. Interested to hear feedback on how this is working. I also removed the drop down sub menu on the About Us page but have left links to the sub pages on the page itself. All feedback welcome. Cheers, Lisa.

Yes, the fires here are just horrendous - our government is full of climate denial nutters and they are still resisting making changes to emissions policies. (a bit off topic I suppose) Cheers, John

When returning to the main Blog page, maybe use a named object (the top blog speech bubble for example) and link to that rather than the top of the page?

Also, that blue, square Facebook icon that's just plonked on the lime and orange header. Please, for all that's sacred, kill it; it's painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    When returning to the main Blog page, maybe use a named object (the top blog speech bubble for example) and link to that rather than the top of the page?

Also, that blue, square Facebook icon that's just plonked on the lime and orange header. Please, for all that's sacred, kill it; it's painful.

Thanks Chris- might run with your idea on using a named object and yes, that Facebook icon is an eyesore that we'll put on our 'to do' list. Good to have outside feedback as we get too close to it sometimes and don't see the bleeding obvious. cheers, John

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Thanks Chris- might run with your idea on using a named object and yes, that Facebook icon is an eyesore that we'll put on our 'to do' list. Good to have outside feedback as we get too close to it sometimes and don't see the bleeding obvious. cheers, John
    I can definitely identify with getting too close, we all do. I reckon just dropping the FB icon onto the menu bar would stop it being so jarring if you want to keep the original blue.

Hi John, its Abi. I notice you have many page titles on the wrought iron site that are exactly the same. You will need to change them as google will penalise you for having duplicate titles/content. Perhaps change them to the other ones we created many years ago? It will also give you more opportunities to have several pages on page one at the same time. I remember when you had position 1, 2 and 3 for most of your keyword searches. If you dont have them anymore I can send them to you. I like your diabetes site. Well done! Cheers, Abi
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Quote Originally Posted by Abikadabra View Post
    Hi John, its Abi. I notice you have many page titles on the wrought iron site that are exactly the same. You will need to change them as google will penalise you for having duplicate titles/content. Perhaps change them to the other ones we created many years ago? It will also give you more opportunities to have several pages on page one at the same time. I remember when you had position 1, 2 and 3 for most of your keyword searches. If you dont have them anymore I can send them to you. I like your diabetes site. Well done! Cheers, Abi
    Hi Abi,
    good to hear from you and thanks for the feedback on the site. I'll check those page titles and see whats going on. Whatever is happening with google, we are getting a huge amount of business from the website. If you are ever considering coming out of website work retirement and looking for website work, drop us a line. Feel free to send the titles through that you have. Cheers, John

Hi John. I have emailed you the info. Cheers, Abi
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Hi again John. I have just been looking at the wrought iron site again, as I did not look at it for very long last time. Some tips below that you may be interested in.

Perhaps consider changing the text boxes from centre alignment to left-justified as you will find it will give a better flow to the page, be easier for site visitors to read, and will look more elegant. You want your website to look more like a coffee table magazine than a 'shouty' add, so perhaps make the headings a wee bit more smaller, and not in red (especially on the home page). Although once it is left justified it may look quite okay with the larger fonts. Experiment a bit.

Text links - go to the Web Properties and uncheck the Underline Text Links so that the links in your text will still be obvious as something to click on (as they are coloured links), but will not make the page look so cluttered. And speaking of your link colour, it is the same colour as your headings on the home page, and that is confusing. Your headings, and other things you do not want people to think are links, should be a different colour to the link colours. Try using a complementary colour.

Nav Bar - as you now have Xara 16, move the navigation to the top of the page and make it a sticky so it is always visible - this will make it so much easier for website visitors to find quickly what they are looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	126358