Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: CSS: How much is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Perhaps you can point me to some specific articles on this subject (especially if they have specific relevance for Xara generated code)?
    Nope. I cannot. That's the unfortunate state of things. One reads in depth in the training materials from the most respected sources like Mozilla Developers, W3Schools, etc., and they all give similar advice. Whatever exceptions there might be, e.g., Xara's automated code generation, is not addressed. Xara itself only mentions that it meets the html standards, not addressing side issues like efficiency. We're frankly left a bit in the dark.

That said, there are some aspects of how Xara generates code that are clearly not optimal. Lots of shape manipulation (anything other than a rectangle, most combinations of rounded corners, rotations, gradients, skewing, transparency) that can be done directly by coding are handled by exporting as jpgs in Xara, compromising the quality and requiring lots more bandwidth. Exactly what Google's algorithm makes of this, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    Nope. I cannot. That's the unfortunate state of things. One reads in depth in the training materials from the most respected sources like Mozilla Developers, W3Schools, etc., and they all give similar advice. Whatever exceptions there might be, e.g., Xara's automated code generation, is not addressed. Xara itself only mentions that it meets the html standards, not addressing side issues like efficiency. We're frankly left a bit in the dark.

That said, there are some aspects of how Xara generates code that are clearly not optimal. Lots of shape manipulation (anything other than a rectangle, most combinations of rounded corners, rotations, gradients, skewing, transparency) that can be done directly by coding are handled by exporting as jpgs in Xara, compromising the quality and requiring lots more bandwidth. Exactly what Google's algorithm makes of this, I don't know.
    I personally think that google could care less about code efficiency. Google cares about content and artificial attempts to improve SEO ranking, and of course, mobile support.

I hope you drop your quest for improving Xara code quality because it's just not worth the effort in any way and I don't think it really matters as much as you imagine it does.

Anyway we can agree to disagree about this.

Happy NewYear / New year's Eve!

Paul

Paul,

I’m not sure if you have the impression that I’m trying to be antagonistic, but nothing could be further from my intention. I am curious and interested in exploring the possibilities. When I ask questions here, it is to solicit advice from those who have more experience and wisdom. And I always appreciate the responses.

I also like Xara a lot. I’ve been using it now for five and a half years, and I choose to stay with it rather than moving over to WordPress, or some other software. I want to take full advantage of its potential, which sometimes means recognizing its shortcomings and trying to work around them. I can see that others with the same curiosity have actually led to improvements in the software itself. I hope you're cool with it.

I wish you a great 2020 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    I’m not sure if you have the impression that I’m trying to be antagonistic
    I don't have that impression, it hadn't entered my mind.

I can see that others with the same curiosity have actually led to improvements in the software itself. I hope you're cool with it.
    Absolutely.

Have a fun, but recognise that it's not an efficient path to building a website to try and 'fix' the design tool you like best. As an intellectual exercise sure.

Paul