Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skyrocket WIP

Default Skyrocket WIP

For any new members to Xara that may be interested in the process I use. This is a new illustration I just started on this cold rainy day. I'll post updates as I go along. The Grumman X5Xf Skyrocket was an interesting design. The first step I do is to make a crude wire frame 3D that I can use as the basis for the drawing. Creating the wire frame allows me to show the aircraft at the attitude I want. I then transfer that over to Xara and find ref pics to use for colours, panel lines, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sky Wireframe.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	126010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Skyrocket.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	126011  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skyrocket WIP1.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	126012  

Default Re: Skyrocket WIP

Do you create the wire frame outside xara and what do you use?

Joe, I created this one a few years ago with RCCad. I've used Blender, RC Cad and Wings 3D at different times. At the moment I'm using Wings 3D. I save the wire frame 3D as a 3ds file and transfer it to Sketchup to position the aircraft, then save as a Jpeg, which I then load into Xara.

Very interesting, I wish I had the talents that some of you have here on TG. In another of your threads you talk of doing it right down to the rivets absolutely amazing. Thank you for answering my question even though it is beyond my comprehension.

I think it just takes a little practice, Joe.
    A step further on the wings and fuselage with some linear fills and transparencies. The beginnings of a cockpit.

Name:	Skyrocket WIP2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	126014  

Gray,

thanks for the look at your process. I never new you did the 3d part first.

Ray

Ray, I would have a difficult time trying to draw these compound shapes in space without the help of the 3D wire frames. It gives one a base to work from. You still have a lot of refining to do in your drawing, but it sure helps. Sometimes I will do an aircraft that has no history pics or is a what it, so then you have to research where things should have been. In the case of the Skyrocket there are reference pics to use for details.
    At this point most of the main shapes are drawn in. The next steps are refining the rounding out process, adding airframe details and panel lines, textures, reflections, shadows, and just plain making them look used. And of course a pilot. So I think I'll start on the panel lines and details for next day.

Name:	Skyrocket WIP3.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	126019  

Another dumb question, when you are finished is the wire frame still under the drawing or do you delete it ?

Not a dumb question, Joe. The wire frame is only used to get a rough outline. Since the 3D wire frame is so crude the drawing requires a lot of refining. It's like starting with a crude outline of a face, now draw the face. It's all about details.
    I draw most everything on separate layers. It makes it easier and quicker. Hope that helps.

Actually that helps a lot to be honest didn't think of doing it on separate layers you see I use xara more for the web, but am interested in drawing. Everything I have drawn to date are from things Gary taught on xaraxone. As I learn things from guys like you I think of trying something simple on my own.