Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

My XDPX licence expired recently and I really can't see any reason to bother upgrading any more.

Apart from the fact it now only £20 difference between buying new and renewing, looking at what Xara give you in the couple of updates you get every year there doesn't seem anything compelling. They just seem to tinker around the edges with minor web-oriented tweaks - nothing substantive like you used to get before this '365' model came in.

Am I doing Xara a disservice here?
    Grant

Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

I'll probably get roasted for this, but I look upon it as a development donation.

We all expect great things like a complete rebuild of the GUI and major changes to just about every aspect of the software. Money is needed for that and although I, like you and many others, don't see the value in much of the updated stuff I feel I never will unless there's a surplus of cash to do so.

I like Xara. It has given me pocket money, taught me a lot about graphics and provided a lot of entertainment through that learning. I think the software is worth supporting, so I do.

I have earned more money than I have paid out to Xara so in my case I reluctantly buy in; I have even gone Pro Xara Cloud!

I believe my subscriptions, my ongoing use of the products and TG contributions entitle me to raise issues with the current set-up.
    My full-on hate is the roll back to your purchase version on Update Service expiry and the loss of on-line access. I have offered up alternatives to bypass these irritations; Xara remains in a niggardly mindset over these.

I look on this festive season for some enlightenment.
    Xara is suggesting that Version 17 will be a storker. I read into this adaptive websites and the removal of the tired pixel-placement fudge of multiple SPANs for multi-line text. Do note, I have no evidence for this and that is is all from a web perspective so I may be doing Xara a disservice or even building hope on a whisper.

I have held back from jumping across to Nicepage.
    I have PineGrow PRO with WordPress and Pinegrow is now offering up Pinegrow Interactions (using the very, very powerful Greensock); something Xara almost does, but badly.
    I have the Affinity range.
    I hand-code as I need to interact with data.

For most, the answer your two questions - No & No.

Xara is losing the battle.
    Until something concrete, Bah Humbug from Xara to All.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 24 December 2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I think the software is worth supporting, so I do.
    agree, but sadly, that software is no longer XARA in my case, both because of the direction it is crawling in re desktop, and because even donations should go where they are most effective...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks to all who replied. Hope you all had a good Christmas :-)

I'd not used Xara for an extended period this year (I last fired it up around June I think) and when I did get round to running it in October, a message popped up telling me I'd run out of subscription (this expired end of October) and wouldn't be getting any further updates. This includes TWO updates WITHIN the period I'd paid up to (July and October)! I think this is the final nail in the coffin for me.
    Grant

I can understand your frustration, but it's always a good idea to keep track of programs that have a similar type of expiry date and, in the case of Xara, make sure to have updated and downloaded everything that can be downloaded. Then you can sit it out for a year or two until you either need some new feature or you need to reinstall.

I'm sitting it out, but mainly due to the problem with the interface between Xara and Magix' video programs. The XAR object gets emptied when the video editor project is restarted. Not good. Other than that, there is nothing new that I need, so I'll wait. I've also been trying to get off of the upgrade merry-go-round with other programs; too expensive for little gain.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I've sent a compaint to Magix support. I've paid for all unpdates released to end of October 2019 and to miss out on two out the three issued before that date simply because I didn't check in to the update service is totally unacceptable.
    Grant

I hope they listen

But it does say in the end user licence agreement that you only have access to the updates whilst your update service is current, so they might not
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    ...in the case of Xara, make sure to have updated and downloaded everything that can be downloaded...
    John, don't you find it petty of Xara not to offer a total local download of assets from the OCC as opposed to vaguely mentioning it in a obscure section of the Support site? I do. The application is then deprived of access to quite basic components when the Update Service expires. Any consequential roll-back to a version that may no long support your published sites is madness. Again, this all comes without very explicit advice.

Those who follow TG may be lucky if they are sufficiently technically savvy. Xara claims it has a very large customer base; there must be a lot of confused and frustrated (ex-)customers out there.

I no longer ensure over any Xara releases.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

its petty

but it helps their cash flow

go figure
    Nothing lasts forever...