Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Grant,

I don't quite follow your logic. You say that you pay for another year in Jan 2019, but that the Update Service (not update agreement) expires in Nov. 2019. How can this be?

The Update Service is for 1 year from the date that you last paid, which you state is January something. Exact dates count.

Second point. Why are you reinstalling? I have had to reinstall Xara twice over many years, if I recall correctly. Once when my main HD was failing and I replaced it and reinstalled Windows, the second possibly when I went from W7 to W10. I often see people reinstalling software for no valid reason, because of a crash, because something didn't work the way they thought it should, because of a bug. Reinstallation most likely does not resolve these issues.
    Hi John

This was a hypothetical scenario.

Regards
    Grant
    Grant

I preferred the old model where you upgraded each year when a major version was released. Ever since Xara switched to the subscription model I have become disillusioned with XDP Pro. We were promised regular updates of features rather than having to wait until the annual update. In my view, this hasn't happened. Updates have been few and far between, and IMHO fairly mediocre. There certainly hasn't been the regular release of new features I was expecting.

I have been using Xara products for many, many years. I'm still happy with the XDP Pro that I have, and I use it quite regularly, but for the first time I have decided not to renew my update subscription.

As an aside, another software company did the same thing with the same intention in mind, ie. subscription model with regular updates. Besides a couple of bug fixes, they haven't released any updates in over 2 years.

So it appears Xara aren't the only one not living up to their promise. At least that's the way I perceive it.

= Steve

If there were real updates/upgrades I could live with the model but even that isn't the case and my guess is still that the desktop users of xara products are paying for the development of the saas product.
    Like netflix,disney+,spotify,........ it's a cloud/online model but people can only spend so much in a month and rather like to save up for an annual upgrade for software.
    I think xara is betting on business owners to step in and put away with the hobby users,this isn't likely to happen as the big mud company has a better grip.
    As far as I remember Magix products are toy software and they had no real role in the professional world.
    So why xara chose,if it even was a choice?, to go to with magix still beats me.
    They better could have gone the Serif way or even have teamed up with the Nottingham clan.

howdy folks

First – I'm getting back into this after a couple years of absence. I'm considering upgrading my Designer Pro X11 to the current version. Currently I have Designer installed on my desktop PC and on my notebook. In upgrading to X16 will I be able to upgrade both installations?

Seccond – Is Designer now an annual subscription animal? I frankly don't even recall how the system worked before.

t h x

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    howdy folks
    First – I'm getting back into this after a couple years of absence. I'm considering upgrading my Designer Pro X11 to the current version. Currently I have Designer installed on my desktop PC and on my notebook. In upgrading to X16 will I be able to upgrade both installations?
    Seccond – Is Designer now an annual subscription animal? I frankly don't even recall how the system worked before.
    t h x
    Q the First - Yes.
    Q the Second - with XDPXv11, you had a rough access to the v11 Online Content Catalogue (OCC). This remainder accessible for free ni XDPXv11 so do not uninstall your current product on either machine. v11 is an ideal fallback.

use https://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/whats-new/ & https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/whats-new/older/ for a catch-up.

Check through for the features you are likely to use. If there is a must-have item, upgrade; if it seems nice-to-have, perhaps save your money for a bit longer.

Do try the v16.3 trial first off. Download XWDPv16.3 first and get used to what it offers then go for XDPXv16.3 trial for your final decision check-over.
    peruse http://downloadsv16.xara.com/web/catalog/index.html to see the types of thing now available - you won't be able to integrate them but you get a flavour.

Sign up for Xara Cloud (free) and look at https://xara.com/templates/new/. Xara Cloud will let you play with a number of the new SmartShapes; these become dumb in v11 but it is a cheap (free), limited way of getting the smarts into your designs.

v11 is still a worthy application.

The key difference in the licensing arrangements is up to v11, updates were annual. Now they are haphazard, spread over the year; Xara promised 3 to 4, luck yo get 2 or 3. You now lose the OCC access after one year.
    Costs are dropping.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn. I have upgraded. I'm now anxious to dig in and learn ... then to 'do'.

Nice to see you back Cursor.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I too question the value of paying 100€ for an update when a full version is not that much more. It has me a little confused. Xara, please don't insult my intelligence by throwing in "free" software add-ons for which I have no desire for.

I am no longer using Xara to make a living but I enjoy volunteering myself skills to help when I can.

I am all for paying an update fee. Given the modest improvements being made year to year and the fact that I am now semi-retired, I think an update fee in the vicinity of 50 € is adequate.

I am not expert with the program but I've used it for enough years that I am very comfortable with it. I would be happy to update the software but not for any prince. Sorry.

Phillip
    --
    Phillip

A sorry state of affairs. I am reminded of this...

Yes, as through this world I've wandered
    I've seen lots of funny men;
    Some will rob you with a six-gun,
    And some with a fountain pen.

Woody Guthrie;
    from ¨Pretty Boy Floyd¨
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by houseofman View Post
    I would be happy to update the software but not for any prince. Sorry. Phillip
    I believe with Xara's past connections with Corel, you might get Prince Harry thrown in for free.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat