Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. #21

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Hi John,

    It is a subset of the overall issue.

    Yep, Xara was going to look into separation of bug fixes and feature updates. But it hasn't happened. I use little on-line content and when I do the majority of time it is to look at something Acorn points out.

    But bug fixes are important to me. As I don't do any webby stuff in an Xara application. I'm just glad that much of XDP as regards drawing content has been rolled into XP&GD. So I chose to "downgrade" and have thus far stayed up to date, simply because it's cheaper to do so compared to XDP.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,696

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    I've been sick for the last week, great start to a new year. Happy New everyone!
    John, I am glad you are back, hale and hearty. HNY!

    I too bought into the Widget Packs and Website Templates.
    I also have XWDP11.2.5 with perpetual free access to its Online Content Catalogue (OCC).
    My time-expired XWDP12/15 versions have a Smart Rectangle, a Text Panel, a Speech Bubble and Photo text panel. Gosh & Golly also for the nags everywhere!

    It is this disparity that rankles. Imagine having no access to any roll-over buttons for a Web Designer tool! You cannot create a Stretch Button in XWD(P), you need XDPX.
    Throw in an unexpected roll-back to the version you bought and you migh just find your crafted site is no longer editable. How is the ordinary punter to know that enhancement X is an advance view of a feature? The release notes are wholly inadequate. SmartShapes, not.

    I buy in because I provide ongoing customer support and would be professionally embarrassed if I had to advise their site was now unsupportable.

    Whatever way you dress it, it is a land grab; I have the maps to prove it.

    In passing, the over 1m photos statement is total waffle; just sign up to Pixabay directly.
    I had a utility that effectively imports the chosen image onto the design page (and at a higher resolution, if wanted) without losing it after a year but its loss was a minor inconvenience (Pixabay now block its pages in a IFRAME).

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,696

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @mwenz

    That is a slightly different problem, one that never seems to have been appropriately addressed. I thought that Xara was working on separating bug fixes from updates/upgrades and that one should be able to get all bug fixes for the version installed, be it 15, or 16. I have never heard what happened.

    Many of us have the same beef with Magix about their programs, both those with and without the update service. For those without, a new version comes out with new features, new and old bugs, and the previous version is left with some known unfixed bugs. Most annoying. For those programs with the Update Service, we can never get a version without bugs (or at least most bugs fixed), it seems. Even more annoying. I expect, at the very least, that bugs raised by the user community always be fixed asap. We are not beta testers.
    I believe Xara has only made one point release since v11. It seems it would only happen immediately after a major version release. In the current set-up we are gaining a rump of new bugs and barely losing the tail. A situation that forces subscription renewal just on the hope.

    Not a satisfactory long-term business model at all.
    No amount of complaining will achieve much when Xara has diverted most of its developer effort into the Xara Cloud.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @Acorn
    So, for @pgholman , you did not pay for Updates to the end of October 2019. You paid fully for what was available when you paid the year before. You were allowed to get updates/upgrades during the year, subject to the terms of the Update Service, which you should have read and understood. If you did not bother to get the updates before the end of the Update Service period, that is your problem, not Xara's, not Magix'. Sorry to be rough, but that is the way it is. The program still works, doesn't it? On the other hand, if you ever have to reinstall, it is likely that you will not have used any of the new features, so you won't be "forced" to renew. You can now comfortably continue using the program without having to renew. The only problem is that pesky nag screen at start up advising you that your Update Service period expired.
    Hi John

    Happy New Year to you too.

    So imagine this scenario:

    I pay for another year in Jan 2019.
    Xara issued 3 updates through 2019: May, July and October.
    My update agreement expires in November 2019. I decide not to renew.
    I have some sort of issue with my PC and have to reinstall in December 2019.

    What version of XDPX am I entitled to if:

    a) My XDPX had the October update at the point of crash?

    or

    b) My XDPX had the May update at the point of crash?
    Grant

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,696

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Quote Originally Posted by gpholman View Post
    Hi John

    Happy New Year to you too.

    So imagine this scenario:

    I pay for another year in Jan 2019.
    Xara issued 3 updates through 2019: May, July and October.
    My update agreement expires in November 2019. I decide not to renew.
    I have some sort of issue with my PC and have to reinstall in December 2019.

    What version of XDPX am I entitled to if:

    a) My XDPX had the October update at the point of crash?

    or

    b) My XDPX had the May update at the point of crash?
    Grant, if you are out of cover in November, you revert all the way back to your bought version, which will not even be the one in May.

    Xara works from an on-line registration through Magix. It will check you are pre-May and unregistered.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Simply put,
    You upgrade in Jan>you update in May/Okt/Nov and you re install in Dec>you'll be reverted to the Jan version and lose all updates

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Caveat Emptor.
    Grant

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17,127

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    ibid - post #15 last paragraph
    -------------------------------
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    Quote Originally Posted by gpholman View Post
    Hi John

    Happy New Year to you too.

    So imagine this scenario:

    I pay for another year in Jan 2019.
    Xara issued 3 updates through 2019: May, July and October.
    My update agreement expires in November 2019. I decide not to renew.
    I have some sort of issue with my PC and have to reinstall in December 2019.

    What version of XDPX am I entitled to if:

    a) My XDPX had the October update at the point of crash?

    or

    b) My XDPX had the May update at the point of crash?
    Grant,

    I don't quite follow your logic. You say that you pay for another year in Jan 2019, but that the Update Service (not update agreement) expires in Nov. 2019. How can this be?

    The Update Service is for 1 year from the date that you last paid, which you state is January something. Exact dates count.

    Second point. Why are you reinstalling? I have had to reinstall Xara twice over many years, if I recall correctly. Once when my main HD was failing and I replaced it and reinstalled Windows, the second possibly when I went from W7 to W10. I often see people reinstalling software for no valid reason, because of a crash, because something didn't work the way they thought it should, because of a bug. Reinstallation most likely does not resolve these issues.
    John
    Xara DPX(16.2.0.56957)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

    I run Xara in a virtual machine. I keep it backed up to a NAS. System gets corrupted or drive fails, copy it back. I keep all my work on the host and the NAS. No worries.

    --
    Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.
    Teach a man to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks, or even months unless you give him your email address.

    \_(ツ)_/

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •