Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: how can I scale a photo??

and then there were main frame eds - about the time i lived in a cardboard box in't middle of't road
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can go back as far as ferrite memory cores:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...CoreMemory.jpg, By Konstantin Lanzet - received per EMailCamera: Canon EOS 400D, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7025492.
    128 Bytes of non-volatile storage!!!, that, I believe, had to be threaded by hand.

Those were the days. My first programming language was APL running on an IBM 1130; a one week course but I stayed for 8 weeks. Concise - UK Lottery Numbers: x[⍋x←6?59].

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

george 3

ferrite cores

boot using toggle switches in octal (!) code

blow cold air through using fan to stop overheating

3 day week...

such a mis-spent youth ....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    george 3

ferrite cores

3 day week...

Nostalgia eh? You can't beat it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

george 3

ferrite cores

3 day week...

I used George 3 with an ICL 1900. I was at school.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Nostalgia eh? You can't beat it.

Acorn
    Indeed, but I may re-live it with this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GlfwbIZaWc

I accessed a PDP 11 to play Meteor Black Hole onto a 24-inch diameter cathode ray tube.
    The PDP 11 has a 22-bit bus as far as I can remember, something weird.

I also recall flipped switches to boot. I remember that system was about six racks wide - a lot of switches.

I remember George 3 & 4, used on my university ICL 1904A mainframe with Hollerith cards for input.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I accessed a PDP 11 to play Meteor Black Hole onto a 24-inch diameter cathode ray tube.
    The PDP 11 has a 22-bit bus as far as I can remember, something weird.

I also recall flipped switches to boot. I remember that system was about six racks wide - a lot of switches.

I remember George 3 & 4, used on my university ICL 1904A mainframe with Hollerith cards for input.

Acorn
    School: ICL 1904A ( phone link to council treasury department ). I and my friends were pretty good at George 3 and Fortran, so much so that the Council once rang our teacher up with the words "can't you keep those bloody kids under control". In my naivety I made a request to my local library to order the George 3 manual set. They told me it was too expensive, but if there was a particular volume they would buy one of them.

At university I was taught to bootstrap the PDP-11 from the switches, entering the instruction code, as you say, on the front panel using switches. I continued doing stuff like that until the early-mid eighties ( I programmed computers that had no display ).

If you look at my link above they discuss a kit that simulates being a PDP-11. I'm going to buy one.

All my computer yesterdays..

you make me feel old

the ICL 1900 had octal boot - i remember the pdp 11 coming onstream but i never operated one, they were DEC 16bit minicomputers
    Nothing lasts forever...

you make me feel old

the ICL 1900 had octal boot - i remember the pdp 11 coming onstream but i never operated one, they were DEC 16bit minicomputers
    At University I was in the "last one" generation - 1976. Last ones to be taught about core-stores. Last ones to be taught to program in Algol-60.

While I was in university a magazine appeared "Personal Computer World" - that amazed me that a magazine existed about computers. It was fantastic - very hands-on. Some time later (perhaps a year) after others were launched, I overheard two of the staff in WH Smith talking and one was explaining to the other that the revenue from the computer magazines (two titles, three at most) had overtaken that of all of the women's magazines altogether. I thought that was a real watermark to indicate how interest was building.

Computers did a lot less back then, but were far more exciting in many ways.

I sort of remember a line of George 3 - it was so common..

#we comerr goto 1stop

..something like that!