Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: ERROR: SmartShape failed to load text

A fellow developer has the same error issue when he tried to open a site he built. Not sure what his versions of Web Designer Premium are.

This is an issue. Magix/Xara support acknowledged the issue and the solution was to open the file and remove the smart shapes. Which of course is a challenge if you can't open the file to be able to remove the offending objects.

We have over 100 Xara sites and if smart shapes are going to start prohibiting us from opening sites to update we have a real problem.

I am sorry to hear about the 'helpful' Magix response.

Have you yet tried ExpandXar? This unpacks xar/web files and tries to correct defects. At worst, you could then manually edit one.

Xara ought to be offering you the option of providing it with the file for them to fix.

You said you could open in earlier versions so why not remove the SmartShape that way?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I am sorry to hear about the 'helpful' Magix response.

Have you yet tried ExpandXar? This unpacks xar/web files and tries to correct defects. At worst, you could then manually edit one.

Xara ought to be offering you the option of providing it with the file for them to fix.

You said you could open in earlier versions so why not remove the SmartShape that way?
    Acorn
    AS always thanks for the assist, Acorn. Where can I get ExpandXar?

Yes, I had a pre 16 version of Designer Pro and Web Designer Premium. But silly me I have a current subscription plan and updated them both. I might have to go install an older version. I am really concerned that this issue is going to impact a lot of the sites we have done.

My reply to the original ticket with Magix was the ticket is closed to go create a new ticket.

I did.

Gosh, I hate that shaky crap Magix does when you are trying to type a description for a ticket. All done to say DON'T CREATE A TICKET - go read some unhelpful article. And you will have to start the process all over. The best time to irritate a customer is when they are already irritated with you.

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    AS always thanks for the assist, Acorn. Where can I get ExpandXar?
    Xara changed the address to http://site.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html. I am finding I get a 503 Service Unavailable with http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html most of the time.

The Download Link is http://site.xaraxone.com/ExpandXar.zip. Read the help text.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

i cannot even load my website file. i used xara x to produce it 7 years ago. i am now on x19 and it will not even open the file. "smartshape failed to load"
    no help from xara, of course, and the expandxar will not run on my windows11
    please someone help

I don't have ExpandXar to test, but try the following:
    Right-click the exe and choose 'Run As Administrator'
    Or
    Right-click the exe > Properties > Compatibility (tab) > Run This Program In Compatibility Mode (check box) > Windows 7 (drop down menu)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhawk View Post
    i cannot even load my website file. i used xara x to produce it 7 years ago. i am now on x19 and it will not even open the file. "smartshape failed to load"
    please someone help
    Rhawk, welcome in the first instance to TalkGraphics.

I have Xara files going back just as far and I have no problems in opening them in later versions. Xara has always been good in maintaining compatibility.

If you bought a version quite a time back, you still have a lifetime licence to use it.
    You could try that. Magix should hold your products for download.

I don't have W11 but it must still have a compatibility troubleshooter, right-click > Properties > Compatibility > Run compatibility troubleshooter.
    Do this for ExpandXar.

Check in your Backups folder for any dated file with a similar name.

You could always offer up the file to TG for checking that it is corrupt.
    if you have a non-W10 device, you could try that instead to gain access.

The final port of call would be Xara itself. It is very accommodating for such issues.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Rhawk View Post
    please someone help
    Please contact us at www.xara.com/contact-us (email or chat) and we can help with your issue.

Update: the Xara team was able to rescue my file. There was an incompatibility error between the versions I use, specifically with the smart shapes in the mobile variant. We are still having issues publishing, but the I avoided starting from scratch.
    Thanks for the help, all.