Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: ERROR: SmartShape failed to load text

Acorn,

Well, I made a kludge out of that post. And I can't figure out how to edit a post. As always thank you for assisting me.

I have Xara Web Designer Premium - 12.6.0 Mar 30 2017 and Xara Designer Pro X 16.3.0 Oct 25 2019 on my computer.

I am doing edits on a site built by a team member. I am not sure what version of Xara he used.

I can open, edit and save the site with Web Designer Premium. I can not open the site with Designer Pro X, I get the error message.

I am not sure what SmartShape is being used. Looking at the details under MouseOff there is a Text panel that consists of a Clipped photo, a Text Column and a Shape. Interesting that the SmartShape will open in the older, not current subscription WDP but not under the current DPX with a current subscription.

Thanks again for your help,

Lightbulb Re: ERROR: SmartShape failed to load text

onlye, it sound if you have a corruption in the file that sneaks past the older version.

Three things, you can try:
    1. Click on the SmartShape and open the Names pop-up; check if there are any weird version details and advise back. This is only a check not a solution.
    2. Download expander.exe (http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html) and work on a copy of your file. You need to run it in a CMD window but it is very effective.
    3. Sent a copy to Rob-Xar for repair.

In desperation, you could PM it to me. I have XWDPv12.6.2 (25 Apr 2017) on hand and all version up as well as XDPX.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Ok, I also have a Designer Pro X ver 15.1.1 on my computer. I can open, edit and save the file just fine with that version. So I thought great when I save it I'll be able to open in XDP 16. Nope. Just a strange issue. Nothing I can't work around since I can open, edit and save the work in my old versions of Xara programs.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

I suggest your v16.3 version needs better bedding in!

Run it once as Administrator (right-click > Run as administrator).
    Your libraries may not have been fully linked.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acron. Tried the run as admin with same results.

So I just uninstalled and reinstalled Xara Designer Pro X. The install was 16 and open the file just fine. Did the update to 16.3 and get even more errors:
    Failed to get character text metrics for font: FontAwesome
    An internal error has occurred; Failed to read the requested TrueType outline.

Then opens blank screen Mobile.

So off to submit a ticket to Magix.

WHY IS IT SO DANG HARD to find how to submit a ticket?

Finally submitted the issue to Magix. I have no faith in a response or assistance based on passed experience.

If Talkgraphics did not exist there would be no Xara / Magix Support.

After you reinstalled did you run Xara as administrator again? I have even had to do this after doing updates.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    After you reinstalled did you run Xara as administrator again? I have even had to do this after doing updates.

Ray

Thanks I tried it again with Ruan as Admin and same error.
    current install is Xara Designer Pro X 16.3.0.57723 DL x64 Oct 25 2019