Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ERROR: SmartShape failed to load text

Get this error trying to load a Xara website .web in Xara Designer Pro (current version) that was edited in Web Designer Pro 15. I can open the file in WDP and edit and save just fine. But I want it to load in XDP.

thanks!

Default Re: ERROR: SmartShape failed to load text

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Get this error trying to load a Xara website .web in Xara Designer Pro (current version) that was edited in Web Designer Pro 15. I can open the file in WDP and edit and save just fine. But I want it to load in XDP.
    thanks!
    onlye, you have typed in some confusion so I apologise if I have the wrong end of things.

There is no such thing as Web Designer Pro 15. Are you referring to Xara Web Designer Premium (XWDP) or Xara Designer Pro X (XDPX)?
    My assumption is you used XWDPv15 and your version of XDPX is an earlier one.

If your XDPX is earlier then the SmartShape code might not exist and so you will get a "dead" SmartShape and the complaint.

What is the SmartShape you used?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Well, I made a kludge out of that post. And I can't figure out how to edit a post. As always thank you for assisting me.

I have Xara Web Designer Premium - 12.6.0 Mar 30 2017 and Xara Designer Pro X 16.3.0 Oct 25 2019 on my computer.

I am doing edits on a site built by a team member. I am not sure what version of Xara he used.

I can open, edit and save the site with Web Designer Premium. I can not open the site with Designer Pro X, I get the error message.

I am not sure what SmartShape is being used. Looking at the details under MouseOff there is a Text panel that consists of a Clipped photo, a Text Column and a Shape. Interesting that the SmartShape will open in the older, not current subscription WDP but not under the current DPX with a current subscription.

Thanks again for your help,

Lightbulb Re: ERROR: SmartShape failed to load text

onlye, it sound if you have a corruption in the file that sneaks past the older version.

Three things, you can try:
    1. Click on the SmartShape and open the Names pop-up; check if there are any weird version details and advise back. This is only a check not a solution.
    2. Download expander.exe (http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html) and work on a copy of your file. You need to run it in a CMD window but it is very effective.
    3. Sent a copy to Rob-Xar for repair.

In desperation, you could PM it to me. I have XWDPv12.6.2 (25 Apr 2017) on hand and all version up as well as XDPX.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Ok, I also have a Designer Pro X ver 15.1.1 on my computer. I can open, edit and save the file just fine with that version. So I thought great when I save it I'll be able to open in XDP 16. Nope. Just a strange issue. Nothing I can't work around since I can open, edit and save the work in my old versions of Xara programs.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

I suggest your v16.3 version needs better bedding in!

Run it once as Administrator (right-click > Run as administrator).
    Your libraries may not have been fully linked.

Acorn

Thanks, Acron. Tried the run as admin with same results.

So I just uninstalled and reinstalled Xara Designer Pro X. The install was 16 and open the file just fine. Did the update to 16.3 and get even more errors:
    Failed to get character text metrics for font: FontAwesome
    An internal error has occurred; Failed to read the requested TrueType outline.

Then opens blank screen Mobile.

So off to submit a ticket to Magix.

WHY IS IT SO DANG HARD to find how to submit a ticket?

Finally submitted the issue to Magix. I have no faith in a response or assistance based on passed experience.

If Talkgraphics did not exist there would be no Xara / Magix Support.

After you reinstalled did you run Xara as administrator again? I have even had to do this after doing updates.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    After you reinstalled did you run Xara as administrator again? I have even had to do this after doing updates.

Ray

Thanks I tried it again with Ruan as Admin and same error.
    current install is Xara Designer Pro X 16.3.0.57723 DL x64 Oct 25 2019