Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to organize - Link to Text & Image files?

XDP16 - Seeking suggestions on how to link page forward / back buttons to a folder with Text and PNG files that need to be in a fixed place on the website.
    The idea is that the only thing that will need to be FTP uploaded is the updated story text and images each week.
    Not sure if iframe or placeholder is what to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	websiteOrganize.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	125923  
    sadicus - Win10 ● nvidia 32GB ● XDP17

Default Re: How to organize - Link to Text & Image files?

Seeking suggestions on how to link page forward / back buttons to a folder with Text and PNG files that need to be in a fixed place on the website.
    The idea is that the only thing that will need to be FTP uploaded is the updated story text and images each week.
    There will be lots of different ways of doing this, but a simple solution would be to create a manual slider in a placeholder (maybe using the W3C code modified and styled to match your requirements https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/tryi...slideshow_self ).

I would create a Xara template that combines the images with the corresponding texts and export these to a separate folder. Compilation process: drag all the images into a Xara doc; doing so will place them in the bitmap gallery where you can drag them into your template, edit the text and export the image/text combo to a local folder, upload the completed folder to your server.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Text Combo Image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	125924

Quote Originally Posted by sadicus View Post
    XDP16 - Seeking suggestions on how to link page forward / back buttons to a folder with Text and PNG files that need to be in a fixed place on the website.
    Not sure if iframe or placeholder is what to use.
    Changing the images and text weekly without altering the uploaded site requires you give each file a unique name: picture01.jpg, text01.htm. You simply FTP these to change them.

The simplest way to present the views is to create a sub-site with IMAGE & TEXT for all six instances on pop-up layers. Each is then selected by any combination of the six purple and green buttons. These need to be in the sub-site and not on the main site display pages. Equally, the Prev/Next links are then too in the sub-site and are simple Xara Next / Previous links.

The sub-site is then just an embed a website Placeholder.

The sub-site may need to have a Refresh mechanism to replace stale cached detail. Hourly should work fine.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for taking time to explain ways to do this. Apologies the image provided was not accurate, I hope this is a better example.

@initiostar
    edit the text and export the image/text combo to a local folder,
    What is the combo file exported as, a .xar file?

@Acorn
    just an embed a website Placeholder.
    is this a link, or a iframe? There are not purple or green buttons, that was representing the different images and text the need to appear in the center of the website.

Currently All the Navigation is text, but I would like to make some kind of mouse rollOver hilight effect.
    1) Is there a way to split a NAVBAR in two sections some buttons left, some on right and lower center? (I think for this kind of Nav system Links are the only way to do it?)
    I will be making a mobile variant and would like the nave to be a three line (Pizza box, or hamburger) style icon.

Name:	websiteExample.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	125937  
    Last edited by sadicus; 15 December 2019 at 03:20 PM.

@initiostar: edit the text and export the image/text combo to a local folder, What is the combo file exported as, a .xar file?
    Assuming images and texts are pairs, I suggested using a template to to create a 'combined' image, exported as a PNG with a name such as 'ChapterOne', ChapterTwo' etc. A folder with all the Chapter images is FTP'd to your server, from where it can be called from the placeholder script. Each combined image would look something like this:

Attachment 125939

I have attached a XAR with both the template (using stretch text) and a working placeholder. You can modify the template to suit, and play around with the code to change the Next and Previous Buttons.

I have not tested it fully, but it scales to the size of the placeholder. You may need to increase the font size for a mobile variant, if so, create a separate placeholder with combined images such as 'ChapterOneM', ChapterTwoM' etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Info Re: How to organize - Link to Text & Image files?

Here is a solution for a single presentation of linked images and text.
    Images and texts are associated but not linked directly.

If i was presenting 10 artists then each would have a design file like this but the first page is saved out as artist-a.
    I would then collate all into an IFRAME collection with an IFRAME like:
    Code:
    <iframe name="artists" src="" width=100% height=100%  style="border:none;">
    <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
    </iframe>
    Once set up the Xara design files stay unchanged and you FTP changes into files artist-a.pic03.jpg & artist-f.text02.htm.

IFRAME & POPUP Display.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

interesting xar file, thanks for that. The story already has over 100 pages of text + images, might be to many buttons. I think the html page idea will work for each chapter combine the image and text as a page. Will need a way to anchor to specific parts of the text, reading up on that now.

How to link the html pages to the placeholder? that's all i'm trying to do at this point. the story can be made of sequential pages then exported as you suggested.

Name:	websiteExample2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	125950  
    Last edited by sadicus; 17 December 2019 at 12:01 AM.

For 100 pages (chapters), this is as much a logistics task as a technology one.

I would revert to Acorn's earlier suggestion that you create a subsite 480px wide and build each page using a purpose-designed template (example attached). This will maintain a permanent and editable version of your 'book' where you can add, delete and reorder the pages using the Page & Layout Gallery; see what they look like before updating the main site.

The attached XAR template uses a stretch for text, the underlying rectangle (text container) and buttons use a push to auto-extend the page. I have added an index (list of chapters) that means you can navigate the chapters, much the same as a book. Of course buttons of your choosing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embedded Web Right and Left Buttons.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	125952

Where you want to create anchor points in a chapter this is straight forward (described in the help online).

Your main site would have a desktop and mobile variant, but the subsite (since you have started with 480px) should work in both, albeit you might want to increase the font size in the template.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Initiostar; 17 December 2019 at 11:30 AM.