Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default expanding text in a box

What term does xara use to expand a background box with text? As more text is added the box expands horizontally down.
    sadicus - Win10 ● nvidia 32GB ● XDP17

Info Re: expanding text in a box

Are you asking about the little-understood Stretches property? If so, it the Extend > Vertically option.

Only available in XDPX through the Names gallery:
    Stretches You can use named objects to stretch other named objects, e.g. the text on a button.
    Both the text and the button are named objects, with the text flagged as stretching the
    button. When you change the length of the text (for example by typing in more
    characters), the button automatically resizes to match.
    When you choose STRETCHES properties, a check box to the right of object names shows
    those objects you want to stretch. The arrow to the right of the check box shows if the
    stretching options are set up (solid arrow) or not (hollow arrow). Click the arrow to display
    the EXTEND DIALOG BOX which lets you select those objects from the list of named objects
    to control the stretching. For each direction you can select if the size changes in the
    same direction as the controlling object (EXTEND) or equally from the center (SCALE).
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: expanding text in a box

yes, where are you finding that info?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarastretchy.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	125913  

It is Xara Designer Pro X only.

XWDP uses it for stretchy buttons and in some stretchy stickers.
    It is therefore feasible to deconstruct a design and change it to exactly your need.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Xara Designer Pro 16 - help menu
    is that info only in the web design help? Deconstruct sure but a tutorial would really help. I've been ungrouping some and looking at name tags, makes no sense to me.

Info Re: expanding text in a box

F1 (Help) > Index: Exports, slices, and stretches properties.

Create a Text column.
    Name it textLine.

Create a Box that is wider than the text column and a bit deeper.
    Convert to Editable Shapes.
    Name it stretchBox.

Position the text column above and inside the box.

Open the Names gallery.
    Change the drop-down to Stretches.
    Find the Used Name stretchBox and click the right-pointing triangle to open the Extend dialog.
    Select textLine.
    Set up the extends to be H: None & V: Extend.
    Click the OK Button.

To test, add some text that wraps a few lines; the box grows down. If removed, the box shrinks up.

Attachment 125919
    Extends.xar

How you embellish the Text column or Shape is up to you

I did this a time back: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...45-Stretch-Van.

Acorn

Haha! like the stretch van, thanks!

To move them as a single item, Do the text and box need to be soft grouped?

Great tutorial! However I must be missing a step. The first line of text is white and every line after is grey and will not change color. If all the text is selected and changed to red (or any color) only the first line changes.
    https://i.postimg.cc/nr1yHJ7T/x-Stre...lor-Change.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/fyDwjZNQ/x-Stre...or-Change1.jpg

SOLVED - Ah, Text Column = Text Line. Was drawing a text box.
    Last edited by sadicus; 14 December 2019 at 04:36 PM.

I usually don't bother with Soft-Grouping.

Here, it is the line that controls the box, move the line and the box follows.

Soft-Grouping is perfectly all right to use.

Acorn
    Last edited by gwpriester; 20 December 2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Moderator disgression

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Sadicus,

Try this video on how to create stretchy panels.

https://youtu.be/o5STOtTVbcc
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.