Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Import Xara Premium to Xara Pro?

I've been using Xara Premium for designing pages on my website.

Recently when opening Xara, I got a window giving me a special deal for upgrading to Xara Pro X. So I bought and installed it.

Very first task: I opened my Index page to make a few edits. When it opened, the formatting was all over the place! Is Xara Premium not compatible with Xara Pro?

Bottom line, how do I call up my Xara Premium-built Index page so that it shows correctly in Xara Pro X?

i need a little help here. Thanks!

Default Re: Import Xara Premium to Xara Pro?

The two are compatible, so we'll go through the tried and trusted methods and see if it clears up your formatting problem.

This is only needed the once - RIGHT click the XDP shortcut and choose 'Run As Administrator'
    File > Open and browse to your .WEB file
    Optional - If the file opened correctly File > Save As >.xar and rename the file

All should be peachy.

Actually, I don't quite understand this, but it so happens I've got a good page.

When I first opened Xara Pro X, I opened the Index file. It filled up the screen with everything rearranged and out of sorts. So I closed the file. After that, the only options were to open the file or start a new file. Later, after coming here and posting my message, I closed XARA and reopened. Now I have the import option. So I imported Index. Dark grey background and things look much worse. Closed everything and reopened everything again. This time, I noticed two Index files. One had the Google Chrome icon next to it, the other has the Xara Pro X icon. Opened the Xara icon and everything looks good. Note that I was careful not to "save" the bad files.

Here's my suspicion: Xara Pro X opened the Index file, and for whatever reason did not see the additional supporting files in the "Index" folder. I do not understand why there are two Index files. Is one of them the result of the Import? I'll just have to experiment to try and see how that second file showed up. I suppose a Xara Pro X file is different from a Xara Premium file.

The index file is not the file you should be opening. The way you're describing it, or the way I'm interpreting it, is you are opening the exported (finished) file(s). You should be looking for something with the .xar or .web extension.

What did you name the project when you first made it? Look for that and open it in Xara.

You need to be opening the files as in the first pic, not the second.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Masters.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	125893 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Index.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	125894

Xara design files are 100% compatible with each other .XAR == .WEB == .XAR.

You don't just open up your "index page" to make changs; you open the design file (WEB). In XDPX when saving out, it saves as a .XAR. You could force it to stay as a .WEB but there is no reason.

All I hope is you have not named you design file index.web in the first instance.

If you have, open your original in Premium and resave as tayman-20191211.web or a more meaningful filename.
    If you cannot find the original, check in the Backups: File > Open recent > Backups and use the latest offering.

Open tayman-20191211.web in XDPX and Save: it will dave as tayman-20191211.xar.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat