Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Text inside groups with stick to top

Hi, all.

(Apologies in advance it the introductory description is too thorough.)

I am experimenting with the recent feature “Text inside groups for websites”, which allows you to add a name to a text element (“HTMLText”) that is embedded in a group (e.g., a button) and thereby maintain the text as text upon export (as opposed to being part of the graphic). The purpose is that the text does not become blurry at higher resolutions. It sounds great.

Unfortunately, I have found a negative side effect. If you apply stick to top to the group, the text element is treated separately. In other words, rather than stay in the center of the button, it continues scrolling until it too reaches the top. The result is an odd looking button.

Has anyone dealt with this and perhaps found a way to make the text stay in the center of the button?

Many thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stick to top button.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	125857

Default Re: Text inside groups with stick to top

Yes, it's possible to do it but it's a fairly crap workaround. Basically you need to use paragraph text for the button text such that it's similar to this:
    Button Text
    Set the Periods to match the button colour and adjust their size to get the third line of text centred on the button.

See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg.

I see what you mean that it's not ideal, but it's a pretty clever way to achieve the effect. I'll give it a try.

A better way of doing it would be to create a menu page and include this menu page within a placeholder on the main site. Place the menu placeholder at the top of the page & make Sticky. Avoid Stick at Top, it causes aweful judders. No need to do the period workaround this way.

EXAMPLE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's the Menu page.

Attached the menu xar.

This isn't a Xara navbar, this is far easier to change button backgrounds, button text and mouse over colours.

There's not numerous button bitmap file calls to the host server etc. Text remains as html text. Button backgounds mainly remain as vector shapes. All colours are easily adjusted using named colours within Xara.
    Egg

Here's an explanation of the buttons construction:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	button-construction.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	125879  
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    A better way of doing it would be to create a menu page and include this menu page within a placeholder on the main site. Place the menu placeholder at the top of the page & make Sticky. Avoid Stick at Top, it causes aweful judders. No need to do the period workaround this way.
    EXAMPLE
    Egg, stick at Top may have its uses: Some sites have a top preamble that can be scrolled away form leaving the NavBar then at the top. I wouldn'y go for it myself but designers should have free rein.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, I have no issue with Stick at Top but in this particular case it creates an unacceptable judder. Preview the attached.
    Egg

Info Re: Text inside groups with stick to top

I still prefer CSS.

CSS3-Sticky Buttons.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I still prefer CSS.
    CSS3-Sticky Buttons.xar
    Acorn
    I forgot to include that i added a Linefeed before the button text with line spacing of 30% to "centre2 the text within the padding.

Acorn