Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Gap Between Footer & Browser Window

The pages Contact and Donate are short pages, meaning the browser window is longer than the displayed page. The other pages are fine. Add a picture or more text to push the footer further down the page.

Hi Chris, Yeah I am aware of the shorter pages and I will be filling those up at some point.
    I do need to mention that when clicking on the preview in Xara and the preview web page/site window pops up, all of the footers stop scrolling at the bottom of the window as expected, but, when the site is published to the internet and viewed by a browser, this is when the big gaps appear at the end of pages, even pages that are longer than the browser window.

Paul, yes it is peculiar as one each page's preview, alone it stops properly at the bottom of the page/browser. As a site, it fails badly.

I suspect there is some site-width code in the Website header od elsewhere that is causing this.

I haven't found it!

At worst, your design file could be corrupt.
    When i get this I use a cloned copy and divide and conquer until I have located the offending page or area or shape.
    How you recover is up to you; I usually copy all objects from all Layers across into a new document.

Tedious in the least.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I may have found the culprit. I have been using AddThis which tracks users on my site. I think this is what's caused my issues with a hidden div. I have just removed it from the head and just republishing now to see if that fixes it.

Right. I have removed AddThis from the head section of the website - it made no difference. I then loaded up the homepage in Chrome browser and did the old right click then "Inspect". The longest element on the page is the one in the image below. The problem is, there is no such element when editing the page in Xara so I cannot find it to remove it as I now believe it is this that is causing my issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (10).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	125868

As an addition to the below comments that I have made, do you have any idea what "onmousedown" is? This appears in the code for the div in the below image.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.ibbitson View Post
    As an addition to the below comments that I have made, do you have any idea what "onmousedown" is? This appears in the code for the div in the below image.
    It is the third possible button state, probably not relevant.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Paul,

I took your XAR doc and was able to change any of the page heights and preview the website subset through a test NavBar, only linked to the pages in the subset you provided. The donate button had a MouseOver state which I could not find, so recreated it without one. The donate page had a text column that extended beyond the document width and this is now a text box. I don't know if these had anything to do with the root cause, but in this website subset it all seems to work. In my test, I made the Home button link to the index page.

Not sure I have found the real culprit here, but maybe it helps.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Initiostar, you may have hit the nail on the head. I never thought about the "Donate" button. I will try what you say in your post. TBH I could probably lose the Donate button as I've only ever had one donation and that was only for a tenner!!!
    Thanks for taking a look and I'll have a play about tonight after work.

For those who are interested, I think that I have found what the issue is. It has something to do with the drop down menu in mobile view.

The drop down menu on my mobile view is not linked to a specific page as when it is pressed it opens up to show a list of pages that do have links, so I am assuming that there is a hidden box (not sure what to call it) of some description to account for the drop down part of the navbar that is causing the browser to show the page as being longer than it actually is. I am unable to find the so called "hidden box" as part of the drop down navbar element.

When I add a linked menu line underneath the initial "Menu" button in the navbar settings the page opens (once republished) as it should do with the page not being able to be scrolled further than the footer. supper duper, job done, massive weight off my shoulders.

I decided to test this by then reverting the navbar back to is previous state ie, by removing the added linked menu line from the navbar settings, and the page (once again after republishing) reverts to having the big white gap as you scroll past the footer once again making the page longer than it should be.

I am still unsure as to why this issue affects the desktop variant as there is no drop down menu on the desktop variant but, by following the above directions in the mobile variant at the same time fixes the issue on the desktop variant. Strange.

My summary is
    1) When creating a mobile drop down navbar, all pages that it is on need to be very long to account for this hidden element that's part of the navbar (not always wanted on shorter pages).
    2) Have a small amount of pages linked on the navbar to keep the hidden bit short which in turn should keep the page at the desired height without being able to scroll past the footer.
    3) Do away with the drop down navbar all together and look at an alternative means of directing visitors around your website on the mobile variant. (This is the option I will be going with).

I hope that this helps anyone else who may be having a similar issue. I am still to test this across my entire website, which is quite large, but from initial tests this seems to be the cause of the issue of big gaps below the footers. I will update once I have fully tested it across the website.

I would like to thank Initiostar and Acorn for their help in this matter. It's been very much appreciated.
    Last edited by paul.ibbitson; 11 December 2019 at 09:46 AM.