Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gap Between Footer & Browser Window

I have been working on my website over the past 2 years and throughout this same period I have been fighting with the following issue:

On certain pages there is gap between the footer & the bottom of the browser window. It doesn't discriminate between mobile or desktop but it is random across the entire website. Also, all of the page length dotted lines are located at the bottom of the footer on every page.
    These two browser screenshots show what I mean.

In desktop mode the footer is planted firmly at the bottom of the browser window, as expected
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desctop View.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	125845

But in mobile view there is a big gap at the bottom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mobile View.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	125843

As mentioned already this issue is random across the website and happens to either mobile or desktop, sometimes both and some pages don't have the issue at all either on mobile or desktop.

I have looked around the forums and on Google etc for a fix but the closest I came to one was by a chap (I forget his name) who said that it could be something to do with the X & Y positioning on the shadowing on the background layer. I followed his instructions to change both the X & Y values up one digit then back again with no change to my issue having done this. I have even tried deselecting the "show shadow" option in the page options tab, again with no effect.

The only meaningful option that I have found to SOMETIMES temporarily work is as follows:

>Select the page affected
    >Unlock & select "Pasteboard Background"
    >Then select "Rectangle"
    This rectangle is usually taller than the top of my page, longer than the bottom of my page and wider on both sides. I have tried just shortening this rectangle to the bottom of the page, just shortening the height to the top of the page and a mixture of the two then republish. Sometimes it fixes my problem but only until I republish again. If I then go back to the same page, the Background has resized itself to the bigger size. Again, some pages stay fixed while other do not.

I have lived with this issue for 2 years now and various updates have not affected or fixed the issue.

My website is split in to 6 sub-sites as it is a large website with nearly 100 pages so I divided it up in to sections about a year ago to make it easier to edit certain parts of the website individually and to make it quicker for the republish upload. I have this issue across the entire site and isn't local to one section of the website.

The website in question is:

https://paulsastophotography.co.uk

I can upload one of the subsite Xara files if needs be.
    Last edited by paul.ibbitson; 06 December 2019 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: Gap Between Footer & Browser Window

I can see what you mean on the About page (desktop).

If this is the problem throughout, it's an easy fix. Your page length is too long. No need to unlock anything or mess around with the pasteboard. Just drag the bottom of the page (dotted lines) up to the bottom of your footer.

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for your reply. all of the dotted lines are at the bottom of the footers when editing in Xara. The pictures that I posted are screenshots taken with the published website in the browser window.

I see the same thing here too https://paulsastrophotography.co.uk/...xos-review.htm and I'm still running down the page-too-long path. Can you post a .web/.xar file that contains the About page?

It's midnight here, so i won't look at it for hours, but someone else may well pick it up and solve the mystery.

As mentioned in my original post, the issue is across my entire website but it doesn't affect all pages on the website. It is also not specific to mobile or desktop and can happen to either mobile, desktop or both but on some pages it doesn't affect either.

paulsastrophotography Main.web

Just to let you know - the page size is locked in this file. That was a recent thing to see if it made a difference - it did not. It makes no difference to my issue if the page size is locked or not.

I tried to upload the .web files for the other sections of my website but it wont let me for some reason.
    Last edited by paul.ibbitson; 06 December 2019 at 01:34 PM.

Paul, your WEB file has a Rectangle in the Pasteboard background of 2296 x 3384px that is created and locked for each new page. As the height of the page is 1847px, you have an extra 1537px of Dark Energy pushing your universe asunder.

Unlock the Pasteboard background and resize the Rectangle for all affected pages.

It might be the first evidence of cosmic hyper inflation!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi acorn.
    Thank you for your reply. I did cover having the issue that you mentioned in my initial post. Resizing this rectangle SOMETIMES rectifies the problem for a short while but sometimes it makes no difference at all. And most of the time when I go back to the page at a later date, the rectangle has gone back to the bigger size whether the page size is locked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.ibbitson View Post
    Hi acorn.
    Thank you for your reply. I did cover having the issue that you mentioned in my initial post. Resizing this rectangle SOMETIMES rectifies the problem for a short while but sometimes it makes no difference at all. And most of the time when I go back to the page at a later date, the rectangle has gone back to the bigger size whether the page size is locked or not.
    Paul, then delete the Rectangle and see that that is the offender. The Shapes on the Pasteboard should be on the Page background, put to the back and locked. Then just drag Theme colour 1 onto the Pasteboard.

It might be other Objects were pushing it around.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for the advice. My laptop with my website on it is currently in the garden running the camera on the end of my telescope taking an image of another Nebula to go on the website. It will take around 3 hours worth of exposure time so I will play around with the rectangle as you describe in the morning.
    Thanks for your help. I will keep you updated.
    PS. I liked your quip regarding the cosmic hyper inflation. Very good.

Right, rectangle deleted and its still playing up. The only difference deleting the rectangle made was that the pasteboard layer removes its self.

paulsastrophotography Main.web.

Above is the .web file with the changes made but when viewing on mobile or desktop there are still massive gaps under the footer.