Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Nik Software Plugin

Am wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem of the NIK software bundle crashing XARA?

Regards ... Paul

Default Re: Nik Software Plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
    Am wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem of the NIK software bundle crashing XARA?
    Regards ... Paul
    Paul, your tile mention Plugin and your Post mentions bundle. What is which? Version would be useful for NIK and Xara.

Is this Google's NIK? are the Plugins 32-bit? Is your OS 64-bit?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

they never have worked in xara afaik - they cause access violations as I recall
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Have removed NIK - do not know version, but it was an older Google version. I will try again.

I don't know Paul.I had it but uninstalled it for some reason maybe because they didn't work with Xara bot I don't remember. Maybe someone else here knows.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I use the Google Nik plugins (v2, 64-Bit) now and then, but have given up trying from within Xara Photo & Graphic Designer (v16.1.1). The best way I find is to export your bitmap image and use the plugins externally. You can drag and drop image files straight onto the Nik plugin icon to open (including .png files, which is not an option from within the plugin menu).

Within Xara you can get way with using some of the Efex plugins, but I've never got Analog, Color, HDR and Silver to work at all.

If I were going to chance using any of the ones that appear to work (Define, Sharpener Pro, Viveza) my workflow would be:

- make a copy of what you want to filter (as a backup)
    - apply plugin to this copy
    - lock the Effects (click the padlock on the Fx toolbar)
    - immediately make new bitmap copy of result
    - delete filtered copy (to prevent crashing)
    - save

One thing to note is that after applying one of these plugins, you are not returned to the Xara program screen.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

They don't work as a plug in, but you can use them as a stand alone application as I remember. Open, say SilverEfex, go to file and open desired image. You can then work on it and save it back to then open in Xara should you wish. Not as convenient as a plugin but just the same results.
    Attached image was produced in SilverEfex and opened in XaraDesigner etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4934-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	125885  
    Last edited by masque; 10 December 2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add example