Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website is safe, or not?

Sometimes I see posts by TG members recommending a download from or a visit to some website I have never heard of and in general I would advise people to approach websites with caution, and free downloads with extreme caution, particularly unknown websites offering drivers and software that you have heard of but the website isn't the standard site for the company. The bad guys seed downloads and dodgy sites with backdoors and viruses.

Anyway, I saw such a posting on TG. New member, unknown website. Alarm bells ring.

Out of interest I tried finding a website that looked like it might list/check dodgy websites. Here's my find:

https://transparencyreport.google.co...rowsing/search

I would advice ultra caution in looking for such a site because the bad guys are also happy to provide free website checkers and anti-virus software - they are so kind - so don't just assume these sites are benign. The site above is a subdomain on Google.com so I'm happy to trust it.

Don't start the festive season with a virus or dodgy software.

Default Re: Website is safe, or not?

Thanks Paul

Here's hoping you can keep your Christmas cheer...

If you don't need it, don't follow it.
    This applies to email offers where your are being tracked the second you follow a link that seems innocuous; check the words against any status line URL. Instead, open your browser and type in the URL or search for the company and use the browser's alerting before jumping in.

Always have your AV definitions up-to-date.

Back up your precious data, regardless. Work out the worst that could happen if you lose your main machine or ven your Internet access.

Use a Password Manager and review passwords every quarter.

Noel,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.