Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update service reminder

Is there any way to get rid of this annoyance?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	update service.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	125818

Default Re: Update service reminder

block the program in firewall is the only way that seems to work

occasionally you may need to reallow it for activation check
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Update service reminder

My assessment from April 2018 - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...156#post592156
    Ditto from November 2018 - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...o-stop-showing
    Ditto from March 2019 - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?81087-Nag.

Almost relevant, I got this today:

Name:	Screenshot 2019-12-02 15.56.46.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	125820

I enjoy the pleasure of owning a professional application, which I have renewed. I still keep my prior perpetually licensed product available. MagiXara still miss this point in in doing so they kill Customers' interest with this trash.
    A case in point, the offer I got was $99.00 Regularly $647.00.
    If I go to the site directly, the offer is £69.00 Regularly £484.00.

My rate GBP/USD works £69 out as $89.

Magix cannot work out my locale or get the price to be equitable across regions.

I have just spend a quiet half-hour's tweaking the Registry.
    Something along the likes of Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\15\Options\Update\:
    • Set Value of SpecialsDontShowAgain to 1.
    • Set Value of UpdateDontShowAgain to 1.

Might be of use. It get rid of the type of Nag in the above image for those without the "Don't show this again" checkbox.
    As it is your machine's Registry, any changes are on you as if you muck it up without having a Backup, sorry!

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 December 2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

those tweaks could be useful be interesting to know if they work

meanwhile I am more than happy to block the program in firewall
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have tried the registry trick, but the program fixes itself periodically, so it may not work indefinitely. A rough trick is to delete or rename the "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\11\WebF iles\ENG" folder (path is a bit different for different versions) which contains the URL to the actual nag screen on the net. Here again, the program fixes itself after a while, so automatic countermeasures are needed to ward off this nuisance.

Thanks for the replies everyone - wish xara/magix would get their act together....

Still delete this info. Firewall also blocks the creation of web pages when inserting widgets.

Name:	content.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	125825

P&G 10, 11, 15; XWD Premium 11,15; XDPX 15.1; XDPX 18.5; XDPX 19; XBuilder;

yes it will - i dont use it for web pages, fortunately
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Update service reminder

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    I have tried the registry trick, but the program fixes itself periodically, so it may not work indefinitely. A rough trick is to delete or rename the "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\11\WebF iles\ENG" folder (path is a bit different for different versions) which contains the URL to the actual nag screen on the net. Here again, the program fixes itself after a while, so automatic countermeasures are needed to ward off this nuisance.
    Thanks for the pointer lex. Here is an approach that seems to work.
    1. Make a copy of the %localappdata%/Xara/XtremePro/12/WebFiles/ folder and contents or other version you are having issues with.
    2. Replace its contents with the two files in the attached ZIP.

I am sure Xara will frequently refresh the folders contents so possible ways may be to lock the lock for updates or just redo the above.

ENG.zip

Again, no promises or guarantees of success but at least it's not meddling with your Registry.
    To reset the folder, just select Help > Check for updates; a thing you would never do anyhow if you are out of cover.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Sorry to say, but this does not work. Xara updates itself in spite of this. What I have found partially effective, is to start the program using a command file like this:

del /Q C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\11\WebFi les\ENG\*.*
    nircmd exec2 max "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11" "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11\DesignerPro.exe"

where the first line deletes the contents of the nag folder and the second line uses Nirsoft's Nircmd utility (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html) to start Xara without a visible command window and in the folder specified before the EXE command line proper. To use this, change paths and filenames according to your own setup. In spite of this, the nag may show occasionnally, but keeps away most of the time.