Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: How big can xara website be?

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    What reasons are there for not creating a sitemap (either in Xara or WebPlus, say) and linking each page (all 200+) individually to the Site Map?
    Mainly one of tedium as it would all be manual.
    You could create a 15-button NavBar and have all 200 pages hang off the top menu buttons. This could be added to each and every page. Each page still needs to have a relative URL so under Places > Exeter, you might have a page "The West Country Years" (filename: thewestcountryyears; sub-folder: exeter), your page link would have to be entered as exeter/thewestcountryyears.htm. Change this once means you have to update all 15 sub-sites to keep the NavBars in synch.

My suggestion would be to have your 15 Subjects in a top level index page. Each of the Subject sub-sites would have their own NavBar (without the need for relative addressing). Each page would have a 16-button (Home+15 Subjects) row of buttons that only need creating the once.

Easier to manage.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

#Acorn
    I'm really grateful for your time and great advice.
    Many thanks!
    E

Don't know if this helps you?

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,
    New user here assessing Web Designer as a tool to update (reproduce) a large website. I came to the conclusion a few nights ago that I should go down the sub-site route as a means of easing site maintenance so I found this thread very interesting.
    At this stage, my problem is that when applying hypertext links I am unable to get relative addressing to work and have to resort to using absolute paths when linking to a sub-directory. Although at the design stage this just an inconvenience it will become a major headache when publishing between my test/development sites to the live site.

Am I missing a configuration setting to enable relative addressing?

Thanks in advance.... mike

Quote Originally Posted by Weeble View Post
    Hi,
    New user here assessing Web Designer as a tool to update (reproduce) a large website. I came to the conclusion a few nights ago that I should go down the sub-site route as a means of easing site maintenance so I found this thread very interesting.
    At this stage, my problem is that when applying hypertext links I am unable to get relative addressing to work and have to resort to using absolute paths when linking to a sub-directory. Although at the design stage this just an inconvenience it will become a major headache when publishing between my test/development sites to the live site.

Am I missing a configuration setting to enable relative addressing?

Thanks in advance.... mike
    Mike, a good question.

I use .XAR files to split my sites but I publish them all in the same level. You name the first with its logical name, just not index. Your XDA will complain but it is legit. Just name all pages differently and you will be fine.

The relative addressing is then the filename, e.g., contacts.htm.

If you choose to have different sub folders too, the avoid index is not an issue.
    The relative link then becomes contacts/index.htm.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Mike and welcome to TG. I'm glad you found my tutorial helpful. If I understand you correctly you're saying that the need to use absolute paths as opposed to relative paths.
    Acorn's suggestion is very valid. The only reason I've used absolute paths initially is I find it easier to check as you test the site.

One solution would be to create a menu only page/site which is present on all subsites via a placeholder. Splitting a site over several subdirectories can be bothersome to the main site navigation, requiring menus requiring to be amended on all the sub sites.

However if each subsite loads a single menu.htm file via a placholder from a root menu.htm page, this erradicates the need to amend the menu on every sub-directory.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi, and thanks for the quick replies.

Let me emphasis I'm still in my first few days of assessing Web Designer, so many of my questions will appear basic. I come from a Dreamweaver environment, which is very different, but haven't done any web development for a few years.
    Don't ask me how it came about but, looking at it, it appears that the site I'm updating effectively has 2 'sub-site' levels with each one able to effectively operate as a standalone site for testing. This was obviously manageable in DW but probably not good practice and needs flattening.

e.g.
    [Top Level Site]
    |
    [PHOTOS]
    |
    [PHOTOS A] - [PHOTOS B]

Currently relative links used between PHOTOS - PHOTOS A - PHOTOS B so the photos element of the site can be tested as a fully functional site (PHOTOS/index.htm).
    As Web Designer appears to not like relative paths to sub-sites it looks like I'll either have to flatten the site or update all the links to absolute paths

Acorn: I haven't looked far into .XAR files yet as I'm still getting to grip with the basics. So I'll go away and research it and get back to you for clarity later. But if you're saying what I think you're saying then it sounds like a good solution.

Egg Bramhill: Three sub-sites have 80 to 150+ pages which currently benefit from a sub-site navigation menu with the Home button linking back to the root/index page, and at a push I think I can still get away with this. But using a main menu page as you suggest might be a more elegant solution and something to consider.

More newbie questions to follow.

Thanks again.... mike

Hi Acorn,
    I came across the topic "COMBINING OR SPLITTING YOUR WEBSITE PROJECT FILES" in the Xara Desktop Help Centre (looks like it was written by you ) which describes exactly the method you suggest above.
    First tests with this on a couple simple files work without problems so I'll probably go down this route after I've flattened the current directory structure a bit and investigated further.
    Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.... mike

As new members can't supply links, here's the link to the TG thread Mike is talking about (I think).

LINK
    Egg