Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How big can xara website be?

Thank you as always Acorn.

OK. Here's the tutorial I did some time ago. It is pretty much what Acorn suggested but it is laid out as a tutorial with visuals http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%201.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	126665  

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Thank you as always Acorn.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    OK. Here's the tutorial I did some time ago. It is pretty much what Acorn suggested but it is laid out as a tutorial with visuals http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%201.html
    Brilliant!
    Thanks

Approximately how many pages would you assign to a sub-site?
    In GJs great example earlier it seems to be between 9 and 11.

More pages than that I should think. Whatever is appropriate for each section. But this does break the site down and makes it more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    Approximately how many pages would you assign to a sub-site?
    In GJs great example earlier it seems to be between 9 and 11.
    In my example there are 10 flea markets to a page. So it depended on the state, Hawaii only has 1 page whereas Texas has 21 pages hence approximately 210 flea markets. Each state has its own subsite if that makes any sense.

I've got a lot to learn here.
    My experience was that having a site with 30 pages slowed everything down - but I'm thinking what I constructed was unrefined.
    There's obviously far more to Xara than I got from the official 'Help' section of the program - and looking at the forum has opened my eyes to my ignorance.
    Yesterday I went to bed frustrated and fed up. Now, thanks to you guys generosity and help, I feel back on an even keel and able to forge ahead.

The whole WebPlus experience when Serif pulled the plug was a bummer. I won't be around fairly soon and I just want to leave a local history website and my family history story on the internet as a sort of memorial that my kids could keep ticking over. I hope Xara is the way to go and that it will continue to be supported and compatible with whatever drives the web in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    I've got a lot to learn here.
    My experience was that having a site with 30 pages slowed everything down - but I'm thinking what I constructed was unrefined.
    There's obviously far more to Xara than I got from the official 'Help' section of the program - and looking at the forum has opened my eyes to my ignorance.
    Yesterday I went to bed frustrated and fed up. Now, thanks to you guys generosity and help, I feel back on an even keel and able to forge ahead.

The whole WebPlus experience when Serif pulled the plug was a bummer. I won't be around fairly soon and I just want to leave a local history website and my family history story on the internet as a sort of memorial that my kids could keep ticking over. I hope Xara is the way to go and that it will continue to be supported and compatible with whatever drives the web in the future.
    ewraysure, I'm sure you'll be around for a long time. Long enough to see your efforts in a Xara approach will be worth it.

Keep plugging and come back with questions.

You need to consider if your material is more a book that is read from beginning to end or one that has specific chapters, which can be looked at in isolation.
    The former could be a Supersite, effectively one long page, a bit like a scrolling PDF. Its advantage would be in searching the whole thing at once. It still allows you to jump to headings and you can create Table of Contents.
    It is what I would aim for if I was researching a history.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ewraysure, I'm sure you'll be around for a long time. Long enough to see your efforts in a Xara approach will be worth it.

Keep plugging and come back with questions.

You need to consider if your material is more a book that is read from beginning to end or one that has specific chapters, which can be looked at in isolation.
    The former could be a Supersite, effectively one long page, a bit like a scrolling PDF. Its advantage would be in searching the whole thing at once. It still allows you to jump to headings and you can create Table of Contents.
    It is what I would aim for if I was researching a history.

Acorn
    Thanks for your kind thoughts!
    My understanding of what a Supersite is, is wrong from what you say.
    My website is a series of articles on specific subjects. And what you said about a Search facility is one of the questions I have about sub-sites. A Table of Contents is like a Site Map?