Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How big can xara website be?

Well, currently working on a large website, please see stats below. I have 8G of Ram. I was wondering
    how big (Memory used: 381 MBytes) can my site get before I have to start worrying about running out of memory?

Xara with the file open, without chrome hogging memory leaves me 5G or so.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	125788

Default Re: How big can xara website be?

RAM isn't about how much data is in the project, it's about how that data is used. In your example very little RAM is needed because all you're asking it to do is display a picture (the stats). Buuut, if you select ALL your objects and as Xara to move them 5 pixels to the left, your RAM would scream OMG and possibly struggle.

Here's an analogy that I often use to describe what RAM actually does. Bear in mind the guy works for a memory manufacturer when he states increasing RAM is the best upgrade you can give your computer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6W6mMSPl0

I find that video pretty naff Chris but I do agree with him. Memory is the best upgrade.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I find that video pretty naff Chris but I do agree with him. Memory is the best upgrade.

It is naff, and the explanation is very basic, but it does a decent job of explaining where RAM sits in the order of things.
    If you think RAM is still the best option for upgrading you need to have a look at muti-core/multi-threading CPUs and NVMe SSDs. Nothing is a 'single' best upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    It is naff, and the explanation is very basic, but it does a decent job of explaining where RAM sits in the order of things.
    If you think RAM is still the best option for upgrading you need to have a look at muti-core/multi-threading CPUs and NVMe SSDs. Nothing is a 'single' best upgrade.
    Absolutely.

Generally I would fit an SSD to an older computer before upgrading RAM or looking for a better CPU.

How big can a Xara site can be? when you have an 8GB machine is a bit like asking How fast can a car go? when you have a Trabant. 8GB is a reasonable amount of RAM for most people.

The real question is "How big a site can I expect to manage with my machine spec?", "What could I do to my machine to improve on that?", etc.

Flip the question around: I want to make a Xara website, I expect it to have X pages and Y images, what kind of machine will I need to achieve this?

More RAM and split into sub-sites.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    More RAM and split into sub-sites. Acorn
    I'm new to Xara and this forum, but I seen you talk about sub-sites and would like to ask you about them, please.

I have a large website constructed using WebPlus (http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/). The program is outmoded and Windows has moved on so I decided to change the program using Xara. I have copied and pasted 200+ pages from the website into Xara (took weeks!) and only now am I adding them to one website (I created them as stand alone pages - my mistake!) and creating links. Pretty soon I realized that everything takes an ages to do (previewing the page etc) and the reason had to do with the size of the website (and I had only loaded 30 pages then). I then looked on here for the first time and discovered that creating large sites is an issue for Xara. There was no warning about this when I was researching what program to buy and as I had no problems with WebPlus, I assumed Xara could also cope.

I would be grateful if you could explain how to create sub-sites and link them, please and any other suggestions you would make. I believe you've referred a user to Gary's (?) comments, but these seem to be lost and the internet archive machine while accessing them is unwieldy to use.

Sub sites are like http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/test/ where you create a sub folder on your host then lets say your page is http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/test/index.htm that is what you would link to if you go to my website https://www.flea-usa.com/ and click on any of the states you will see it in action.

GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    Sub sites are like http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/test/ where you create a sub folder on your host then lets say your page is http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/test/index.htm that is what you would link to if you go to my website https://www.flea-usa.com/ and click on any of the states you will see it in action.GJ
    Many thanks for that GJ.
    So I'm seeing five sub-sites which in turn have sub.sub-sites (like Alabama has 9 pages). I notice that the most pages in a sub site is eleven. In your view is that the optimum size - or could there be more?
    And how do you create links (which I know is a dumb question)
    I have to say I went to bed frustrated but reading this has recharged my batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    I'm new to Xara and this forum, but I seen you talk about sub-sites and would like to ask you about them, please.

I have a large website constructed using WebPlus (http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/). The program is outmoded and Windows has moved on so I decided to change the program using Xara. I have copied and pasted 200+ pages from the website into Xara (took weeks!) and only now am I adding them to one website (I created them as stand alone pages - my mistake!) and creating links. Pretty soon I realized that everything takes an ages to do (previewing the page etc) and the reason had to do with the size of the website (and I had only loaded 30 pages then). I then looked on here for the first time and discovered that creating large sites is an issue for Xara. There was no warning about this when I was researching what program to buy and as I had no problems with WebPlus, I assumed Xara could also cope.

I would be grateful if you could explain how to create sub-sites and link them, please and any other suggestions you would make. I believe you've referred a user to Gary's (?) comments, but these seem to be lost and the internet archive machine while accessing them is unwieldy to use.
    200 page could be manageable. It depends on the content. If you use lots of images then they need to be Optimised for the web (Utilities > Optimise all images).
    The next thing to look at is the site's flow. Does the content have natural clumps? If so you can crate separate design pages for each clump; these will become a separate site, be quicker to edit and upload and form sub-sites.
    If you have not been naming the pages, each filename will start as index and progress index-a, index-b, etc. This leads to lots of issues so with sub-sites, I only keep one overall page named as index.
    These sub-sites need to be held together with some form of hyperlink that covers the pages. To that end a NavBar is effective but you need to understand relative addressing to be effective.
    A sub-site design can be published to its own sub-folder (where each could have its own index page) or into the one area (where each page must have a unique filename).
    You need to pencil out your approach. Your relative URL links will be either <filename>.htm or <sub-folder>/<filename>.htm.

Hope that gets you started.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat