Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upgrade to Designer Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Good idea to download. Anyone know where WD Premium downloads to? It's not in the regular download file - so many in the Web Design folder itself.
    -Bill
    Bill, I was talking about this page: https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/download/ or similar for XDPX.
    Any downloaded content is saved where you have set up previously.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here's the product comparison page if you haven't already seen it https://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/compare/

I haven't used Web Designer since version 6 so can't give first hand advice on how it compares but it looks like Pro has some photo tools that you don't get in WDP which can be handy for quick adjustments even on web page images and additional transparency modes. Contours can be handy too for creating shaped backgrounds on panels/objects. Live copies, although I don't use this as much as repeating objects. And PDF export too by the look of it too which is very useful to have.

If you're only working on the one single site it might not be worth the price difference but if you're working on a variety of sites and using it for other purposes then as mentioned having the extra tools conveniently in the one program is a real benefit.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Hello gcellison,

To wrap it up, I would say that Web Designer Premium is all you really need for web design, and as I said earlier, you can even use it for occasional print work like brochures or any complex print layouts in general by adding page layouts from a trial edition. If you opt for Xara Designer, you can skip using Web Designer altogether (this is what happened to me). But the main reason for buying Designer lays in the realm of increased (vector and bitmap) graphics capability. Unless you are into this, Designer is an overkill in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I took a look at the comparison that xtom gave the link to. It seems like DPX offers lots of extra bells and whistles, it’s just a question of how useful they’ll be for my limited activity. As Acorn suggests, I might purchase it one time just to have access to the extras and maintain WDP up to date.

I acknowledge as well, I’m hopeful that we’ll see the next spectacular WDP innovation soon, along the lines of Responsive Design, or even sticky and stretchy, that used to come out with each new version. They don’t seem to be as frequent or as impressive now with 365. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    ...even sticky and stretchy...
    The Sticky/Stretchy Saga was never an innovative; it is a regressive embuggerance.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Agree with @lex and @Acorn - as a retired newbie the sticky and stretch options appealed to me. I do 3 sites for non profits - but I do agree a one program option certainly fits the bill. I'm learning so much now that I can work with Xara everyday.

Downloading the files still has me hooped. My original exacutable files reside in my download folder in WIN10. Within the program I'm downloading content and the program indicates so, but the files are not in the download folder in Win10. I think if I downloaded more it would show up somewhere so I think I'll do a Xara search. Thanks again.
    -Bill
    Last edited by bwood; 27 November 2019 at 06:02 PM.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Agree with @lex and @Acorn - as a retired newbie the sticky and stretch options appealed to me. I do 3 sites for non profits - but I do agree a one program option certainly fits the bill. I'm learning so much now that I can work with Xara everyday.

Downloading the files still has me hooped. My original exacutable files reside in my download folder in WIN10. Within the program I'm downloading content and the program indicates so, but the files are not in the download folder in Win10. I think if I downloaded more it would show up somewhere so I think I'll do a Xara search. Thanks again.
    -Bill
    Bill, by downloading are you referring to you accessing the Online Content Catalogue. These are all saved to a Cache folder. search TG for OCC.

Acorn

Yes Acorn. Downloading the content catalogue. Buttons - temps - photos - shapes etc. I'll check the cache.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Info Re: Upgrade to Designer Pro?

Yes Acorn. Downloading the content catalogue. Buttons - temps - photos - shapes etc. I'll check the cache.
    -Bill
    For completeness, downloads will be in
    Code:
    %localappdata%\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\16\Cache\designs\eng\
    Acorn