Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Stylus, draw tablet, what to get?

..or you could buy an iPad and an Apple Pencil/Procreate or Affinity Designer?

That might open up another world altogether (depending on your budget) ..
    Last edited by pauland; 10 December 2019 at 11:29 AM.

what often lets cheaper tablets down, apart from the things mentioned, build quality, durability, paralax, latency, is the colour fidelity and angle of view - not everyone needs these things of course....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    what often lets cheaper tablets down, apart from the things mentioned, build quality, durability, paralax, latency, is the colour fidelity and angle of view - not everyone needs these things of course....
    Maybe you are right, but what got me interested is, e.g., videos like this about the latest generation of Huion tablets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoWmZ2pQ05Q

Wacom's reputation is great, and there may be caveats, but things evolve, and I would like to make a sound buying decision without prejudice.

I usually keep out of the graphics tab debates because I can only speak as an observer. My daughter (20) has used several over the years and she may be a good yardstick on the cheaper end of the market because she isn't a professional, doesn't care about brands and simply uses the things that she likes. I think it only fair to state that she is a high functioning autist who doesn't understand the technical side and couldn't care less if everyone thinks she's wrong. Drawing is her meditation and 99% of the time she cartoons. Her software is either SAI, MediBang or Fire Alpaca...again, no idea why.

She has used Huion for over 5 years and is eagerly waiting for Santa to slap a Kamvas pro in her lap this Christmas. She has also used Wacom, XP-Pen. As I stated, I can only say what she uses, not why, as she doesn't know herself.

When she goes outdoors she takes a 13" Huion and a Surface Pro.
    Inside she uses 16" XP-Pen, but before that the Huion 16" on either laptop or desktop.
    The Cintiq 13" she was gifted to her a year or so ago and she doesn't use it. I wish I could tell you why, but the best I can say is she doesn't like the feel of it.

She broke the Huion (temper, not bad manufacturing) and we replaced it with the XP-Pen. She still sometimes asks if I've fixed the Huion (it's virtually in half) but when I ask if she prefers the Huion to the Xp-Pen she shrugs it off. I presume she has no real preference.

I hope Santa comes through! Nice to see Art having a positive effect even if it's a bit rock and roll at times.

it's not possible to give a specific recommendation without trying it.. which I haven't - on spec though, and watching the video, it looks value for money; battery free pen, respectable gamut and view angle, laminated screen are there it would seem, which is good

it depends what you are going to do with it, and how

I would not buy it, but that is not because I think it is a bad product, it is because it would be restrictive for me thus:

screen is too small, 24 inch is ok, I would have liked the 32 inch wacom but could not justify the extra money and that one really takes up desk space which is limited for me

the buttons are on the device - i would not want to go back to that, my wacom has a remote that does that job [and a wide magnetic trim round the drawing area that you can place the remote on if you wish] - this means switching from right to left hand draw does not involve moving the screen

the resolution is too low at std HD

no stand - and the 24 inch pro wacom stand lets you tilt and rotate the screen, preferably in many instances to doing that in the software [and some software, eg xara does not even have this feature]

wacoms are rugged, reliable, and I would need to be convinced another make was comparable - my cintiq isn't portable of course, but i don't need that in a screen tablet - plus they are industry standard when it comes to software/driver compatibility

also, and this is personal, I have an adjustable hight desk and the wacom stand means I can tilt the screen and draw standing up; maybe not what everyone wants but if you draw a lot it is to be recommended some of the time at least, it is so much less strain on the back etc - rather like going back to the drawing tables pre-computer - the wide trim and ruggedness and no onboard buttons, means you can lean on the tablet quite hard for support if you wish, very useful

would the 16 inch cintiq be better, I don't know not having used one, but when you get used to a particular brand you tend to stick which is also something to consider... how stable is the company etc

bottom line: there is a lot to think about, not just the spec, but the way in which you use it in your workflow

hope that helps in some way

P. S. @ Chris - yes these things are very personal, especially if you are a freehand artist, rather than a 'vector shapes constructor' - feel is everything to a freehand artist because every stroke is a gamble to greater or lesser extent, you are relying on your aquired skill and real-time feedback, too much 'ctrl-z-ing' just destroys the mood... I still do a lot of 'pencil' roughs with a BIC Crystal ballpoint, because that is what I grew up using in primary school; first love an' all that... it's more than just a financial commitment...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm still saving for a Cintiq 16 and nearly there. As my funds build up though I'm constantly tempted by products by Huion, XP-Pen and the like.

As I carefully scrutinise all the reviews, there's normally one or two things that jump out and make me think I'm better off waiting for a Wacom.

Although I really like the look of the Huion, when Brad Colbrow mentioned that one of the corners gets a bit warm and there was some play (movement) of the pen nib, it just makes me wonder if I could live with that. Having said that I personally like the idea of function buttons the on the side of the tablet for zooming or changing brush size, but then again, my current Wacom Intuos (PTK-440) has them and I never use them!

Unfortunately it's a difficult thing to have a hands-on try with any of these devices as most shops either don't sell them or if they do they're boxed up.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

bc also mentioned it being too easy to accidentally turn off the tablet with the power button maybe it's me but i would agree, same with all the buttons and touch too i disable the lot right down to the pen buttons as well on the intuos

i think play in the nib would be a deal breaker for me, feel as i said is so important

it is a real shame you cannot try these out short of knowing someone with one or traipsing off to a tech fair, virtually non existent where we live
    Nothing lasts forever...

chris - maybe if there is 'indifference' to the tablets, then your daughter has not yet found what feels right for her - that includes the software used with it, each is subtly different
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    chris - maybe if there is 'indifference' to the tablets, then your daughter has not yet found what feels right for her - that includes the software used with it, each is subtly different

She often tries different software as she basically lives on the 'Net and tries things other people are using. Hardware wise I can lay my hands on most things as the wholesaler I use for my business knows Heather and let's her borrow things. No, I doubt he'd let her loose with top end stuff, but display units, samples and general stuff is no problem.

She just likes drawing