Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Suggested Navbar Changes

Gene, I like the idea of declaring the NavBar "Mobile": all top level links then are moved to the next sub-level and the Top Level button gains ">>" after its name.

For the rest, the use of the Navbar properties is no good for structuring sub-pages if you are not using a NavBar. I would ask Xara to focus on adding a page structure into the Page & Layer gallery instead. This remove the need of jumping into other dialogs to terminate a sub-menu. Any NavBar creation use this tree to place the buttons accordingly.

It will be far easier to discard the NavBar mechanism altogether and simply use nested HTML UL/LI unordered lists. Xara could then focus on generating CSS3 code to convert the list into a nested NavBar where each level has the same presentation (or not) as the top level, a thing currently impossible with the Xara NavBar code.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

2 of the 5 website programs I have use the tree structure, which is very nice. My thoughts, right or wrong, is that it would be a major step for Xara to convert what they have to the tree format. I thought that what I'm suggesting would be a simple patch to get by until they do a major revision. With mobile becoming the de facto standard, I think the whole menu system has to be re-thought to make larger sites more usable on mobile devices, which could then also be used on desktops as many desktop sites are going to the hamburger style menu.

As I said, my programming experience is in factory automation, not in HTML (although I have a very basic understanding of it), so I'm not an expert when it comes to websites.

Thanks for your feedback. I've read a few of your responses to other post, and you really seem to know what you're talking about.

Thank you,
    Gene

Addition: I just re-read my last sentence. It could be read as sarcasm, but wasn't intended that way. I liked your answers!
    Last edited by Gene S; 24 November 2019 at 05:58 PM.

Most mobile sites are simpler and use less pages. You can design a custom mobile site so that you avoid having so many pages. Shrink down your desktop site to what is important for mobile users.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Most mobile sites are simpler and use less pages. You can design a custom mobile site so that you avoid having so many pages. Shrink down your desktop site to what is important for mobile users.
    Current Xara software matches page-for page (less content) so this is difficult to properly customise. It is still down to Xara to integrate Variants better so they are adaptive; separate code out; publish to separate sub-folders; allow Main and Variants to be different to each other as Conventional Website (Main) and Supersite (Variants). Get those done so NavBars can be better defined.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat