Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Keep image filename on export?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use image filename by default

18 94.74%
  • Do not use image filename by default

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Automatic image naming

Hi all,

So quick question, I'm hoping to push for (in the next update) the ability to keep or set image names on export. There's been a bit of discussion about this internally and I'd like to check what you guys would prefer to happen on import:

a) Keep filename on export (you can still change it).
    b) Do not use filename, but allow changing of image name in Web Properties.

I suppose its more of a workflow question. Rename images before or after they are imported into Xara (most images from stock providers / digital cameras are named something like fotalia-123456789.jpg which from a SEO point is poor).

In my personal opinion, I prefer option A but I'd like to hear what you think.

Default Re: Automatic image naming

@Rob, can you or the team describe exactly what happens if a named image is added to the design page and then "mangled". Stretched, cropped, toned, filtered variant-scaled, etc. Are all these effects going to become CSS Classes so there is one export image and not 20 derivatives?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Once it gets implemented I'll have a play and send an installer around to the beta testers, will have to let you know on that.

It's likely there will be image copies (or even duplicate names) in which case it will keep the name but add an incremental integer at the end.

Lightbulb Re: Automatic image naming

Don't overlook all the prior proposals and faults identified:

My main concern is the current disconnect between the Bitmap gallery filename [Right-click > Save > Export], the Names gallery [filename="yetAnotherFileName"], the Page and Layer gallery [Photo 'importFileName (Optimised)' (318 dpi)] and the export image filename [26.jpg & 26@2.jpg].

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Really good additions, Acorn!

Rob, wouldn't true image linking be a solution for webby stuff using an original filename and keep larger sites more responsive? This would also be true for people making books, brochures, large format stuff, to also keep files more responsive?

I'm all for naming images rather than the current numbering system where by on each publish all the images are given newer, higher numbering.

I'd like it to be roughly as my suggestion in Acorns 4th link above.

You'd also need to sort out the very bad bug present in all releases so far whereby an image named under 'filename=myImage' and used across variants alternately exports the image at different resolutions on each subsequent publish.

I've brought this matter up a few times but it's never been seriously addressed as far as I'm aware.

I attach a xar file showing this bug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	125619  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As a check box option?

It's early days so I don't have answers to most of your concerns yet about how it's going to work but will certainly take it into consideration.

@gary - I'm hoping filename would be used by default, and there would also be a text field in the Web Properties > Image section with "image name" or something similar where you could manually enter the name should you wish to change it.

@egg - This would kind of be expected I suppose, both variants will be looking to the same image but as the properties (such as the image's dimensions) are different, it'll be distorted or poor quality. It's something that may be solved with this feature. Once it's implemented I'll try to get an installer for you to play around with

@mwenz - It depends, for a website if you import and resize a photo from a digital camera, you wouldn't want to use the huge original image but an smaller, more optimized version. If it's for a print document then I'd be inclined to agree. Also if the image is changed in anyway, such as a filter applied, rotated etc then we'd have to re-export it with the changes.

Probably A so filename is set by default, but as long as it's possible to change the filename much like you can the alt text then it should be good either way.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.