Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Keep image filename on export?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use image filename by default

    18 94.74%
  • Do not use image filename by default

    1 5.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11

    Default Re: Automatic image naming

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    ...
    @mwenz - It depends, for a website if you import and resize a photo from a digital camera, you wouldn't want to use the huge original image but an smaller, more optimized version. If it's for a print document then I'd be inclined to agree. Also if the image is changed in anyway, such as a filter applied, rotated etc then we'd have to re-export it with the changes.
    I'm not really seeing a difference between web/print.

    It seems to me that in addition to storing the original filename, you would just need to also save the pathname, be it a full path if outside a project folder or a relative path if in or under the project folder.

    This is akin to what happens in a layout application. Output to the various export options--whether the export is to pdf, eBook, html5, etc.--doesn't alter the original image even when/if the image is sized at other than 100%, had various image effects applied, etc. But the effects/sizing is carried into the output format.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Xara HQ, Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Automatic image naming

    If you take a photo from a 12mp camera - 4000 x 3000 and say its about 6mb, you wouldn't want to use that in web without reducing the file size and resolution down to only what's needed, otherwise it would only take a few of them to make pages take a long time to download and/or make the website sluggish.

    In print the file size is less of an issue.

    This is also assuming nobody does anything with the image, i.e. crop it, stretch, apply filters in which we'd need to re-export it.

    There's probably some other technical issues I'm not aware about with keeping the photo separate from the project file.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Automatic image naming

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    If you take a photo from a 12mp camera - 4000 x 3000 and say its about 6mb, you wouldn't want to use that in web without reducing the file size and resolution down to only what's needed, otherwise it would only take a few of them to make pages take a long time to download and/or make the website sluggish.

    In print the file size is less of an issue.

    This is also assuming nobody does anything with the image, i.e. crop it, stretch, apply filters in which we'd need to re-export it.

    There's probably some other technical issues I'm not aware about with keeping the photo separate from the project file.
    Yes, no, no...

    Just yesterday I helped someone with a print issue where the effective resolution of a 7 degree rotated image was over 2000dpi and couldn't figure out why on earth its output to a print pdf was crappy. Stuff happens for print images, too. And oh, just for fun, it exported to html like crap, too.

    You are putting up false arguments, almost like you didn't read anything I wrote. So I'll drop it, Rob.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Xara HQ, Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Automatic image naming

    Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    You are putting up false arguments, almost like you didn't read anything I wrote. So I'll drop it, Rob.
    Well if your not going to explain why then fine, stuff it then.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Automatic image naming

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Well if your not going to explain why then fine, stuff it then.
    I did. So I'll go a little slower then.

    Just because a file is linked doesn't mean it cannot be resized in Xara applications. Same goes for any effects and/or alterations one may make. One can do these things in any/every application that has/uses linked files.

    At anytime, one can replace said image and any/all effects, size, rotation, filters, etc, being a property of the container frame, are applied to the replacement image. Assuming a future where Xara applications retain the name, that name is then used for the exported image when web output is used.

    If filename/path were configured to do so, this all is what WebPlus did.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Automatic image naming

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Don't overlook all the prior proposals and faults identified:

    My main concern is the current disconnect between the Bitmap gallery filename [Right-click > Save > Export], the Names gallery [filename="yetAnotherFileName"], the Page and Layer gallery [Photo 'importFileName (Optimised)' (318 dpi)] and the export image filename [26.jpg & 26@2.jpg].

    Acorn
    Agree totally!
    Really like Egg's suggestion as per he 4th link above

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •