Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How did I do this shadow?

Was playing around with .png images and stuck a shadow on this cat. Somehow I'm able to distort the shadow only without moving it entirely. The cat shadow appears to be anchored at the paws and I can distort it as needed. The thing is, I don't know how I did it! Taking the same image again and adding a shadow allows me to only move the entire shadow around but it stays the same shape as the cat image, and I can't distort the shadow. Can someone explain what I may have done differently to only distort the shadow?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	125577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	125578catshadow.xar

Default Re: How did I do this shadow?

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Was playing around with .png images and stuck a shadow on this cat. Somehow I'm able to distort the shadow only without moving it entirely. The cat shadow appears to be anchored at the paws and I can distort it as needed. The thing is, I don't know how I did it! Taking the same image again and adding a shadow allows me to only move the entire shadow around but it stays the same shape as the cat image, and I can't distort the shadow. Can someone explain what I may have done differently to only distort the shadow?

Name:	cat1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	125577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	125578catshadow.xar
    Third Shadow icon in - Floor shadow.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

WOW! All these years of using Xara (12 and counting) and never knew I could move that shadow that way. Thank you Acorn!

Name:	darth.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	125581

Does a LIGHT saber cast a shadow?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Apparently in my world it does!

Name:	darth2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	125582

Another "Fun with shadows". Sure is a lot I can do now!

Name:	darth3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	125584

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, do you know how many times I've manually created a shadow to achieve what you did in 30 seconds?

I can now make stupid additions to my kids photos and embarrass myself much faster.

Don't talk to me regards embarrassment Chris, got the T shirt
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Another way to do shadows is to copy the item, make it the color of the shadow and manually do what the shadow tool attempts to do. I like the shadow tool for drop shadows as an easy solution, but for 3D shadows, I tend to make my own. If it's a complex object with a lot of parts, I'll simply group->duplicate it, add all the shapes together, then go to town.

Cheers.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com