Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New to 3D rendering

Good afternoon all,

I am very new to 3D rendering and am/have purchased a LED holographic projector that I need to create some graphics for, for an upcoming event.

I did a little reading on the web and found that Xara 3D was supposedly easy to use and would allow me to import a 2D image and then render it in 3D so the projector could use it as a GIF or other 3D animation.

The problem is, I don't have a clue if I am even using the correct program as I do not see anywhere that I can import a flat 2D logo, for instance, and make it 3 dimensional for use on the projector.

I have several logos that I wanted to convert to whatever file extension that I need for the projector. This is for Shriner's function that I am the MC for and thought I could fancy it up a bit by having some of our Logos and icons displayed holographically during the event.

I know it is a lot to ask complete strangers, but if anyone has a few minutes and feels they would like to offer some advice and steer me in the right direction, please either email me or reply to this thread.

Thank you all for your time.

Default Re: New to 3D rendering

A lot depends on the format you need for the Holographic projector.

The logo for Xara 3D Maker has to be vector. It can only be one color. You can add a "decal" to the logo to add color but it is not all that easy.

Can you post the logo here that you want to import into Xara 3D Maker? And what format does it need to be in to use in your Holographic program.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbuchan View Post
    Good afternoon all,

I am very new to 3D rendering and am/have purchased a LED holographic projector that I need to create some graphics for, for an upcoming event.

I did a little reading on the web and found that Xara 3D was supposedly easy to use and would allow me to import a 2D image and then render it in 3D so the projector could use it as a GIF or other 3D animation.

The problem is, I don't have a clue if I am even using the correct program as I do not see anywhere that I can import a flat 2D logo, for instance, and make it 3 dimensional for use on the projector.

I have several logos that I wanted to convert to whatever file extension that I need for the projector. This is for Shriner's function that I am the MC for and thought I could fancy it up a bit by having some of our Logos and icons displayed holographically during the event.

I know it is a lot to ask complete strangers, but if anyone has a few minutes and feels they would like to offer some advice and steer me in the right direction, please either email me or reply to this thread.

Thank you all for your time.
    First of all, I don't actually know, but I doubt very much Xara 3D is of any use to you. Why? because it's software that renders 3D shapes in 2D and I anticipate that your projector needs true 3D information, not a 2D view of a 3D object.

You could cut out a lot of speculation by specifying the device and what file formats it supports for holographic renders.

Perhaps try Metasequoia... It has some new nifty features from what I have been reading up on so far, and.. and yes indeed, the more information specific, you can provide, the better all can look into such, to work with you here. Cheers