Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fast publish only

Even though I have ticked the box 'Fast Publish Only' the software takes no notice and publishes the lot. Is this because I do not use Xara to host my website?

Default Re: Fast publish only

Are you thinking that way because you see the individual file names flash past when the site is being published? I pretty certain that all it's doing is checking each file to see if there has been any changes, it isn't overwriting unless a particular file has been changed.

Is this because I do not use Xara to host my website?
    No, this is not the cause. Many ISP's offer more speed, services (such as Control Panel), and support.

Even though Xara only makes the latest changes when you publish, it does delete previous files which can take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Even though Xara only makes the latest changes when you publish, it does delete previous files which can take some time.
    I kind of want to say you're wrong; but you have a lot more knowledge about Xara than I have.

I'm 99.9% (like disinfectant) sure Xara doesn't delete and re-upload unless they've have been altered. Unedited files are simple left undisturbed.

Info Re: Fast publish only

Make a change by adding a new image and Xara renumbers the lot so all are uploaded and all the old ones deleted.

Make a change in a repeating NavBar and the images therein (if a Xara design) again are uploaded...
    Additionally all the code that drives the NavBar sits in the HTM file(s) so these also upload...

Make a text change in one page and that page's HTM is again uploaded.

Tweak a Variant and the entire set of sizes are uploaded for that page.

To get round it:
    • Avoid Xara Navbars - use CSS3 ones instead.
    • Avoid use of repeating images without giving them a Name of filename="imageName".
    • Keep Variants to a minimum - unless Xara offer up adaptive pages (v17?), split your site for each device (does need JavaScript code though).
    • Use simple blocks ((rounded) rectangles) and linear fills - all can be realised in CSS and therefore no additional images.
    • Avoid HiSlide (photo pop-ups)
    • Avoid complex transparencies.
    • Rely on fonts for impact.

It would be nice for Xara to come back with best practice, especially with Goggle about to flag up "slow" websites. That, in turn, would require GigaBytes of new Xara Templates.

Ah well,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

That probably explains my insistence that everybody is wrong except me. I don't use navbars, I don't use templates and I usually put sliders, forms and players in sub folders.
    I'm going to walk around with a smug look on my face all day today.

That probably explains my insistence that everybody is wrong except me.
    I thought that was me.

Avoid HiSlide (photo pop-ups)
    Interesting point Acorn, could you explain an alternative?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Interesting point Acorn, could you explain an alternative?
    Xara Layering is very powerful. To navigate around the images, use Previous button - popup: close "LayerN" open "LayerN-1"; Next button - popup: close "LayerN" open "LayerN+1" or a button menu (Names, Numbers, Thumbs). Thumbs can be added under all layered images with Links to the layers (& Transitions). I am sure there is some Javascript code to automate a slideshow. siran?

Possibly use an embedded Presentation site.

Always Name your big images.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat