Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Couple of things: menu links v buttons and voice control

I am getting conflicts on my site where I have a menu then separate linked buttons pointing to the same page. I get a warning that this is going to happen but is there any way to get past it, ie by having a menu that links to a page then buttons that link to, say, a header on the same page.
    I'm still working on site development right now, or will be when the UK2 server gets bak into action, so you may not be able to see what I mean by visiting. it's at www.motherofthebrideoutfits.co
    I think the problem relates to the mobile site rather than the main one.

Also, I wondered if there's anyone who knows how to add voice control, as in saying simply "go to Condici page"
    That would be very nice/

Default Re: Couple of things: menu links v buttons and voice control

I am getting conflicts on my site where I have a menu then separate linked buttons pointing to the same page. I get a warning that this is going to happen but is there any way to get past it, ie by having a menu that links to a page then buttons that link to, say, a header on the same page?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Links.PNG 
Views:	70 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	125566 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrange_bring to front.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	125567 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NavBar Links.jpg 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	125568

You can have links to any object on the same page provided you give it a name that can be called from the link dialogue button (or you write your own code to do similar). Best thereafter, to check it is on the front layer, or 'bring to front', else you will see it, but it will not work.

I took a look at your development site http://www.motherofthebrideoutfits.co Not sure whether intentional or otherwise, but you have a different NavBar on the first page, to those on subsequent pages?

Name:	NavBar Change.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	125569

Maybe best to check all the links on your development site do what you intend, to avoid landing on a page and not being able to move from it, or get back to your previous page.

BTW Link to a Smart Field is ONLY available in v16.3 (and currently this I understand has an identified bug).

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post

Name:	Links.PNG 
Views:	70 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	125566 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrange_bring to front.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	125567 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NavBar Links.jpg 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	125568

You can have links to any object on the same page provided you give it a name that can be called from the link dialogue button (or you write your own code to do similar). Best thereafter, to check it is on the front layer, or 'bring to front', else you will see it, but it will not work.

I took a look at your development site http://www.motherofthebrideoutfits.co Not sure whether intentional or otherwise, but you have a different NavBar on the first page, to those on subsequent pages?

Name:	NavBar Change.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	125569

Maybe best to check all the links on your development site do what you intend, to avoid landing on a page and not being able to move from it, or get back to your previous page.

BTW Link to a Smart Field is ONLY available in v16.3 (and currently this I understand has an identified bug).
    Thanks. The navbar is one of my main issues. I really want to make it simpler to visitors to just click on each picture on the home-page to go to the relevant page, or portion of a page.
    As such I have not included those same pages on the navbar menu just in case it sets a conflict onto touch only devices. I'd like to have the pages included on the navbar though as I can't carry all the images for each page onto the total number of pages. Too messy and too much wasted space.

I get the message on linking but don't want to do image, anchor or smartfield links, just a Header Link. Problem seems to be that the Heading links just show up as the index page with a # on the end, ie the link to Lizabella should be directed to the page "Others" and the Heading Lizabella. Instead it shows as index.htm# and takes me back to the index page when clicked.
    I see you mention that such Header Links are for use on the same page, so I guess that rules out linking to Headers on other pages. That would be a pity.
    Of course some more knowledgeable folk may know how to do that operation by other means.

I'm doing more work right now on other things so will be uploading more changes as the day goes on, so the site may not show up at times.

Problem seems to be that the Heading links just show up as the index page with a # on the end, ie the link to Lizabella should be directed to the page "Others" and the Heading Lizabella. Instead it shows as index.htm# and takes me back to the index page when clicked.
    Why not give each collection (picture) its own page? it looks like you have done that for some collections, but not for the ones where you have used a Heading link. If all collections have their own pages, it would be more consistent and much easier thereafter to create your mobile variant. You can then for example create a Collections menu which would be useful in the mobile variant.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Why not give each collection (picture) its own page? it looks like you have done that for some collections, but not for the ones where you have used a Heading link. If all collections have their own pages, it would be more consistent and much easier thereafter to create your mobile variant. You can then for example create a Collections menu which would be useful in the mobile variant.

Gary
    I would love to do that Gary but some collections only have a couple of pictures. I prefer to lump them all into the Others Page. A simple link to "Others" though doesn't offer much in the way of inspiration, which is why a Header link to a specific part section Others would be better.

I'm scratching my head on this now, and may just have to revert all to a simple navbar instead. It's the mobile site that needs this more than any other as I can get around the problem on the wider pages by using the pictures in a reduced size and making them all clickable without having them all on the navbar.

Lynnzer,

I have created a menu template you can adapt that is consistent across desktop and mobile variants. If you use scale-to-fit-width (from the Export options) you only need two variants not three. I have used 480px and 960px, but I would probably go up to 1080px for the desktop.

Name:	Fashion Menu.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	125572

A Heading Link (used for text) can be placed in any part of the document and will go to the correct page; the picture/text groups use an Anchor link and similarly can be placed in any part of the document. If you want to use Heading links only, just create a text heading close to the picture. I think you should be apply to soft group the text heading and picture so they stay together, and the Heading Link should continue to work.

A separate Collections menu will appear when you link from the Designers page to any Collection. This allows the visitor to switch between Collections without having to jump back to the main menu.

Menu fonts and styles are carried over to the mobile variant which has a dedicated mobile menu page (much more readable and easier to manage).

Hopefully, this helps with the design thoughts.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wish I could take you to the bar for a pint. Thanks a million Gary.
    Just getting a load of new Condici images right now and will spend the rest of today resizing them to fit.

Thumbs up Re: Couple of things: menu links v buttons and voice control

There are a couple of practical changes to the mobile variant menu to include a mobile collections menu for easier navigation.

XAR doc attached.

Good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files