Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Provide an SVG color palette in a next release

I have been creating UI icons. I have to create a PDF version for MAC users and SVG for Windows users.
    I'd like to use SVG accepted colors only.
    The icons are used in toolbars in which each image in an icon is only 30 x 30 pixels.
    I have to assure there is enough contrast between shapes of similar colors once exported to SVG and would like to reduce the amount fiddling with colors.

Default Re: Provide an SVG color palette in a next release

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    I have been creating UI icons. I have to create a PDF version for MAC users and SVG for Windows users.
    I'd like to use SVG accepted colors only.
    The icons are used in toolbars in which each image in an icon is only 30 x 30 pixels.
    I have to assure there is enough contrast between shapes of similar colors once exported to SVG and would like to reduce the amount fiddling with colors.
    In the meantime, why not build up you own from these: https://www.december.com/html/spec/colorsvghex.html?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

" . . . why not build up you own from these: https://www.december.com/html/spec/colorsvghex.html?"

Funny you should mention that. I found the same website yesterday when seaching for an RGB/SVG document.

I just started the attached about a 1/2 hour before make this post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVG Palette, Work in Progress.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	125529

I am using the eyedropper to grab colors and name them and get their respective RGB values. I have discovered, however, that sometimes the eyedropper was producing a different HexCode; usually off by one integer or one alpha-character.

I'm also also adding names and RGB values in a tabbed text frame which I can export to MSWord and then import into Excel; the Excel file can then be used to create an SVG palette for other apps.

However this a really tedious process and prone to errors in my typing skills and crappy eye-sight.

Once I finish, I'll share the Xara file here for anyone else interested .... until Xara adds SVG palette to their installer .exe.

Here is a XaraFile of the SVG Palette.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	125596

It is organized into 3 side-by-side text frames with tab stops and hard line returns.
    - Each line has the SVG ColorName, its RGB values, and a colored rectangle.
    - Each colored rectangle was tagged with its equivalent SVG Name which is shown in the Name Gallery
    (Note: if the colored rectangle is removed then the SVG Name in the Name Gallery will be lost when
    the file is saved).

- There are 3 pages in this file.
    - Page 3 is a screen capture taken from the Internet.
    - Page 2 is the Workfile from which the text columns were developed and a colored rectangle
    was a given a color fill via Xara's eyedropper tool found in the Color Editor. The Hex Value
    displayed in the Color Editor was used to validate it against the Hex Value shown on the
    Internet screen capture and to extract to equivalent RGB values. Please use it if you want to audit
    for errors.

Because tab stops and hard line returns were used, you can copy the text to a text editor or Word file and then to Excel if necessary.
    Each tab stops defines a Field and the line return defines an SVG Record.

_RGB Values, SVG Palatte and Color Names COLOR GALLERY SORTED BY COLOR NAME.xar
    Last edited by jclements; 16 November 2019 at 06:22 PM.

Wow! Thanks John.

Can anyone convert this text file to a .PAL and post it here?

SVG.txt

You are welcome, Gary.

I used an online convertion https://convertio.co/txt-pal/ and it spit back 3 files. I don't have Corel so can't verify, but here you go.
    SVG.pal.zip

I think you have mixed up your PAL types there chris, those are YUV image files not palettes

@JC - try this, only top three colours, but if it loads in xara and is what you are looking for[and it loads for me] then you can use Brian's Xpal utility to convert

test pal.zip

brian's Xpal utility here:

http://www.smokingun.co.uk/index/downloads

it will take some time as you will need to use the Xpal dropper to select each colour in turn from page 3 of your xara file, naming them as you go along...

see next post
    Last edited by handrawn; 16 November 2019 at 10:27 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

actually should be able to hack your text file be quicker - but will loose the names like as not....

try this:

SVG-hack.zip

you do loose the names and the definitions will be in % not # but it should open ok in xara once you have put it in the palettes [NOT palette] folder

the names are not preserved anyway with Xpal it would appear

xara's native palette format is JCW - there was a utility for this I believe, but memory may be playing me tricks
    Last edited by handrawn; 16 November 2019 at 10:37 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...