Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Continual loading spinner?

Hi folks, a follow on from a problem I had with redesigning our local village hall site http://www.cradleyvillagehall.org.uk which I added variants. Most of the problems I had solved by the good people of this site.

Site all done and happy with but one problem that occurs is that the initial page takes around 20 seconds to load and yes it is rather crowded but we need to get all the relevant info included if possible. The images are all optimised etc but that in itself I can live with as we are not aiming for world domination in the marketplace.

The problem is that the spinning circle shown in the tab in the browser continues to spin ALL the time even after the index page is loaded and fully functional.

I cannot see why this occurs. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ken
    Last edited by gwpriester; 08 November 2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Default Re: Continual loading spinner?

Well what a wonderful site this is. Just by posting my question the problem which has dogged me for some time now is cured even without someone responding......It gas stopped spinning but still I can now concentrate on the loading time(any suggestions?)

Now that's service above and beyond!.... will have to enter the annals of the great mysteries of the universe.
    Ken

Ken, it truly was the least (i.e., nothing) that we could do.

The spinning might be down to an asset ran away with itself; usually so Javascript code that got in a loop due to a conflict elsewhere.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn, really must learn how to look under the bonnet one day. Some of the time lag seems to be with positioning of the nav bar which is stickied to the left hand margin to be viewed all the time whilst scrolling. It seems to have trouble finding its position whilst the site is adjusting to the screen width. Don't know what causes that. any ideas

Ken

Glad we could help.

Info Re: Continual loading spinner?

Quote Originally Posted by mentorman View Post
    Thanks Acorn, really must learn how to look under the bonnet one day. Some of the time lag seems to be with positioning of the nav bar which is stickied to the left hand margin to be viewed all the time whilst scrolling. It seems to have trouble finding its position whilst the site is adjusting to the screen width. Don't know what causes that. any ideas Ken
    It is mostly down to you juggling 24 images and 24 text lines in your main NavBar, which I assume is a Soft-group collection of buttons, as you have no sub-menus.

To speed things up, I would have created a simpler, pure CSS button array:
    Placeholder Code Body:
    Code:
    <a href="#" class="myButtonBank">Bookings & Contacts</a>
    Website Code Head:
    Code:
    .myButtonBank {
        box-shadow: 0px 1px 0px 0px #fff6af;
        background:linear-gradient(to bottom, #ffec64 5%, #ffab23 100%);
        background-color:#ffec64;
        border-radius:12px;
        border:2px solid #ffaa22;
        display:inline-block;
        cursor:pointer;
        color:#333333;
        font-family:Arial;
        font-size:18px;
        font-weight:bold;
        padding:10px 35px;
        text-decoration:none;
        text-shadow:0px 1px 0px #ffee66;
    }
    .myButtonBank:hover {
        background:linear-gradient(to bottom, #ffab23 5%, #ffec64 100%);
        background-color:#ffab23;
    }
    .myButtonBank:active {
        position:relative;
        top:1px; }
    This will be slicker and less jumpy.

Your site, however, has some serious activity going on:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-08 13.33.34.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	125524

I assume this is the falling snow.
    There are cleaner CSS snowfalls out there that would not drag your site performance down. I do like this CSS/JS one though; https://codepen.io/tksiiii/pen/MRjWzv; some are quite soothing: https://codepen.io/redstapler/pen/MZXJZx.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat