Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Disable status bar hover effect

    Well here goes. I'm trying to remove the bottom status bar URL from displaying when you hover your mouse over a hyperlink (in this case one of our online archive videos). https://museum.tv/archives.htm

    Now I realize anyone can download one of our videos if they really wanted. I'm just trying to make it a little more difficult for the average user. I've disabled right click, but when you hover your mouse over one of the video images, it easily displays the URL in the status bar at the bottom. Are there any tricks or codes I can put in the body or header box to eliminate this?

    Thanks, Todd

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    If I click one of the thumbnails my browser (Firefox, Edge) begins to download the video anyway. Opera plays it however.

    I think you have just used a link to the video file and not used a player, hence the status bar info and the attempt to download by the browsers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,087

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Todd, basically you cannot. There are code solutions that frankly are not worth the effort.

    To compare, I just have to press F12 > Inspect on one of your videos and I have bypassed your right-click blocker and have your URL.
    As it is, your video presents in a new Tab with the URL in the Address Bar anyway.

    Instead, see if you can just run each video in a pop-up layer. The call to that layer will appear on the Status Line as javascript: xr_cpu(nn);.

    Also, dump the right-click blocker; it only encourages viewers to bypass it just for the challenge.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    If I click one of the thumbnails my browser (Firefox, Edge) begins to download the video anyway. Opera plays it however.

    I think you have just used a link to the video file and not used a player, hence the status bar info and the attempt to download by the browsers.
    Yes, I want it to play when you click it. I don't want people to save it to keep it. I took away the right click "Save as" option, I'm trying to eliminate them seeing the URL to the file in the bottom status bar.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Todd, basically you cannot. There are code solutions that frankly are not worth the effort.

    To compare, I just have to press F12 > Inspect on one of your videos and I have bypassed your right-click blocker and have your URL.
    As it is, your video presents in a new Tab with the URL in the Address Bar anyway.

    Instead, see if you can just run each video in a pop-up layer. The call to that layer will appear on the Status Line as javascript: xr_cpu(nn);.

    Also, dump the right-click blocker; it only encourages viewers to bypass it just for the challenge.

    Acorn
    Hi Acorn, how do I do this? Instead, see if you can just run each video in a pop-up layer. The call to that layer will appear on the Status Line as javascript: xr_cpu(nn);.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Quote Originally Posted by trnhockey View Post
    Yes, I want it to play when you click it. I don't want people to save it to keep it. I took away the right click "Save as" option, I'm trying to eliminate them seeing the URL to the file in the bottom status bar.

    My comment is that you have a direct link to the videos, FF and Edge don't play them, they download them. You need to use some form of player.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    My comment is that you have a direct link to the videos, FF and Edge don't play them, they download them. You need to use some form of player.
    Any ideas on players that would work this way? I really have no idea.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,087

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Quote Originally Posted by trnhockey View Post
    Hi Acorn, how do I do this? Instead, see if you can just run each video in a pop-up layer. The call to that layer will appear on the Status Line as javascript: xr_cpu(nn);.
    Todd, siran has a Widget solution here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...221#post616221 - read the whole Thread.
    Egg has a pop-up appraoch here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...986#post572986.

    Both use players as Chris is pointing out.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Siran posted a multiple player example not long ago which would suit your purpose. Or, if you want an ultra simple solution have a look here https://www.adrenalinparties.com/ to see players that uses a browsers default player.

    I'll see if I can find Siran's post.

    Seems I found it right above my head

  10. #10

    Default Re: Disable status bar hover effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Siran posted a multiple player example not long ago which would suit your purpose. Or, if you want an ultra simple solution have a look here https://www.adrenalinparties.com/ to see players that uses a browsers default player.

    I'll see if I can find Siran's post.

    Seems I found it right above my head
    Thanks to both of you. So if I am hosting the videos on my own server, will these options work?

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •