Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Allowing full views of a page without cut offs regardless of browser window size

Did any versions after 11 offer an improved way of creating "adaptive/responsive" sites that can automatically stretch and conform to adapt a user's screen (without simply adding ugly scroll bars) ? I mean in 11, yes it adds different templates for various user's screen possibilities, but you still have to manually tweak each one yourself as you build them out.

We have various users. Some use their old laptops with small screens, some use desktops, some use their laptops simply plugged into larger monitors. Obviously this equates to a varying degree of screen resolutions and sizes.
    I have seen many pages created with basic pre-formatted tools like MobiRise (which I'm not criticizing at all) and when you look at them in a browser window and adjust the width of the window (due to having favorites sidebar open or whatever) the page simply adjusts accordingly.*

*I originally thought it was due to the fact that I'm always embedding my Xara Sites into a SharePoint "Page viewer" widget and that is what made this very sloppy and just shows the page partially cut off (with ugly scroll bars) but I just wish that there was a cleaner solution to that. I recall testing a Mobirise page in a SharePoint Page viewer Widget and it still adjusted itself properly and had no hiccups and nothing was cut off regardless of how much I adjusted the width of the browser window.

td

Default Re: Allowing full views of a page without cut offs regardless of browser window size

Hi Tom (?). Xara has never created responsive sites. It creates adaptive sites instead that serve up various versions of a web page. i.e. Desktop, Tablet or Mobile dependent on the viewing device.

There was a way to serve up an adaptive site if you created a Supersite but this option had the disadvantage of requiring all pages within the site to be approx the same size, plus some other drawbacks I can't presently recall.

I'm not sure if it was introduced in this latest (16) version or the previous one but now you are able via the Web Export Options to create a site with the option of "Scale to Fit Options" set to "Scale to Width". I find this works very well apart from a minor irritating resizing of the content to fit your browsers width. This doesn't totally avoid the need to create adaptive versions of your site as without a mobile variant all the page desktop content will be served up to the browser, on a mobile it is often too small to read.

That said I like the inclusion of the Fit to Width an added bonus and possibly doing away with a tablet variant all together..
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Allowing full views of a page without cut offs regardless of browser window size

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    I originally thought it was due to the fact that I'm always embedding my Xara Sites into a SharePoint "Page viewer" widget and that is what made this very sloppy and just shows the page partially cut off (with ugly scroll bars) but I just wish that there was a cleaner solution to that. I recall testing a Mobirise page in a SharePoint Page viewer Widget and it still adjusted itself properly and had no hiccups and nothing was cut off regardless of how much I adjusted the width of the browser window.
    td
    When I embedded Xara into SharePoint, I always made sure the page size was the same across the site. That way I would match the IFRAME accordingly. If I had to have a smaller than wanted IFRAME, I scaled it contents down:
    Code:
    <style>html, body {
      border: 1px solid black;
      -ms-transform: scale(0.9); /* IE 9 */
      -webkit-transform: scale(0.9); /* Safari prior 9.0 */
      transform: scale(0.9); /* Standard syntax */
    }
    </style>
    There is code somewhere in TG that dynamically resizes an IFRAME to the height of its content but it is limited in capability.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Allowing full views of a page without cut offs regardless of browser window size

IE 9? Surely not relevant anymore, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    IE 9? Surely not relevant anymore, or am I missing something?
    Chris, in a corporate environment, who knows. In the NHS, some systems are still XP and my bank is "securely" using Windows 7 Enterprise.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

So the Wanna Cry lesson wasn't enough education eh?

To be fair, I too have a customer still on XP, but she's 91 and uses it for Solitaire.