Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Guides

Default Info on Guides

Hi all. I'm looking for more info on guides. The tutorials are a bit scarce on this one. I find that on some variants I've got a gigantic blank space at the top of some pages and I believe it's a guide issue, albeit my problem.

I'd like every page to start right at the top, but can't seem to get this just right. Any help is much appreciated.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Info on Guides

Guides do not scare things away. Check your Auto-fit to page settings. Look for any object that has a Push setting or repel text under.

Upload an example design file.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Can you see the page outline?

I probably cannot help but do you have guides enabled? I do not do web stuff but on what I have I have rulers enabled and can then pull the guides, and look in widows drop down and make sure there us a check mark for show guides. If you are in the guides layer then any line you draw will be the red dotted guide lines. to draw regular lines make a new layer so long as it not a guides layer then from there you can draw normally and snap to guides. Does that help?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I solved this one. I didn't have any objects on push or auto fit.
    I moved the vertical and horizontal guides to 0x0. Then moved the vertical guide to the exact beginning of the header. Seemed to solve the problem.

I still wish xara had a way of showing the actual page size on the paste board. One could add a light page rectangle on the guide layer, but it may show up on the entire site.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Guide Layer lines, rules and shapes do not print or get published.

Using the Select tool, right-click and pick Show Grid/Guides > Show Rulers (toggle Ctrl+Shift+R or Ctrl+L). Drag the crosshair icon from the top left where the Rulers intersect to any point on your page. A double-click set the origin to bottom left of your Page background.
    In web pages, however, top left for the origin usually is preferred. You need Utilities > Options > Grid and Ruler > Co-ordinate direction, where you would need X increases To the Right and Y increases Downwards.

If you delete the Page background Layer, you are told this also deletes the Pasteboard background Layer.
    Doing so leaves a white rectangle that is the size of the Page. The Page Shadow can also be removed.
    With this, regardless of the Y-origin position, the rendered page always displays the top of the page as the top in the browser.
    @Xara - I think this is a Bug.

Dragging a colour onto the Page restore the Page Size (and annoyingly, adds back the Page Shadow - @Xara - This is a Bug).
    If you are aiming for White on White, make the page colour different first off and drag Rules to the page's four edges and then colour White. Ditto any other colour.

Finally, create a Template from your efforts.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks @Acorn I also notice that page background > show page size doesn't always work. I've got it to work on one page, but not others. I can see the page if I change the paste board color sometimes. By sometimes I mean that changing the past board background or fill also changes the page color or fill itself; so I'd agree something isn't quite right.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Thanks @Acorn I also notice that page background > show page size doesn't always work. I've got it to work on one page, but not others. I can see the page if I change the paste board color sometimes. By sometimes I mean that changing the past board background or fill also changes the page color or fill itself; so I'd agree something isn't quite right.
    Bill, in multi-page view, you get corners. With Show Page Size, and more than one page, you get horizontal dashes for the height.

If you drop a colour onto the Pasteboard, it colours both it and the Page background unless the Page background already has a colour. You need to drop a second colour onto the Page background.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Can you see the page outline?
    Gary, I was able to see a faint outline on one page only. I expected to see it on all pages. I'll check my settings on that page. Im also testing with Designer 10 to see if I get the same result.
    @Acorn Thanks Acorn for that explanation on guides.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I probably cannot help but do you have guides enabled? I do not do web stuff but on what I have I have rulers enabled and can then pull the guides, and look in widows drop down and make sure there us a check mark for show guides. If you are in the guides layer then any line you draw will be the red dotted guide lines. to draw regular lines make a new layer so long as it not a guides layer then from there you can draw normally and snap to guides. Does that help?
    Thanks Larry. Have checked your boxes. Still messing with XD10 and Web designer to actually see a faint shadow. Thanks for your pointers.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design