Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best method to export a shape from Xara, and import it into Photoshop as vector?

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help. As shown in this screencast (http://bit.ly/34l6Qpc), I’m trying to import into Photoshop a spiral shape created in Xara, being my expectation to import a vector shape, instead of a rasterized image.

My XAR file is attached and is constituted of two spirals, one plain, and the other with a shadow applied.

The tests:

a) Since I want the spiral shape into Photoshop, I thought to export from Xara as .PSD would be my best choice. However, both spirals where rasterized, and the .PSD format seems to not fit my need.
    => Is there any workaround to export Xara’s shapes as vectors using the .PSD format?

b) Then I exported as .SVG and I had a mixed result:
    b.1) The solid spiral seems to be imported as vector into Photoshop, since I can upscale it without notice pixelated edges.
    b.2) The spiral with shadow was imported as raster, since I can notice the pixelated edges.
    => Why those differences? Shouldn’t the import (b.2 pixelated) be the same as (b.1 no pixelated)?
    => My evaluation in Photoshop about having the image properly imported as a vector is just by eye. By chance does anyone know how to clearly identify in Photoshop when the imported spiral is vector or raster?

c) Besides those tests, would there be a better method to export a shape from Xara, and import it into Photoshop as a vector?

Thank you,
    Carlos

Export Vector (Spiral).zip

Default Re: Best method to export a shape from Xara, and import it into Photoshop as vector?

PSD does not do vector

which version of PS are you using ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Best method to export a shape from Xara, and import it into Photoshop as vector?

Carlos, some Shapes are too complex for SVG. Shadows and text with a Line width may be troublesome. It is worth the effort to maintain a vector drawing for as long as possible.

If you are using the Xara Export Settings, set dpi to 600 & Bitmap fills to Clip path (Adobe). This will cut down on the jaggies.

Also avoid using a Xara Shadow: clone behind and change the spiral to a grey colour and introduce a Flat Transparency. You get an Opacity Mask and a grey SVG Shape. The fall-back will still be a PNG but at 600 dpi.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Best method to export a shape from Xara, and import it into Photoshop as vector?

PS v20

double post....sorry

[managing the attachmnents can be a pita]
    Nothing lasts forever...

same as me

the only way I know to work properly with vectors in PS is as smart objects, for which you would need Illustrator CC too ideally

xara shadows created with xara shadow tool are not true vector shapes

you will know it is a vector in PS if it is on a shape layer [ie vector layer]

a shape layer has a symbol in the bottom right corner of the layer gallery thus:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-31 16_02_22-Untitled-1 @ 92.5% (out, RGB_8#) _.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	125474
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks a lot all you for the tips and teachings!
    Carlos

Disregarding my mumbles Xara creates bitmaps (rasters) for shadows and contours, possibly for other things too. If you want to export as total vector ensure you do so in Xara first as shapes.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 01 November 2019 at 04:00 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,
    Thank you very much for the video and explanations!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Carlos

Hi,

I’m trying to get aware of all Xara’s caveats and shortcomings when exporting to SVG, since I do need to keep content as vector.

I'm considering SVG as the best solution to export Xara's content, keeping its vectorial properties. Is this assumption correct?

Besides the Shadow Tool, is there any other Xara’s inbuilt tool (contour, bevel, blend, etc.) that interferes with vector shapes, creating rasterization, or causing any trouble when exporting to SVG?

Thank you very much!
    Carlos