Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation v6.3 - Line Charts

Dear Xara...

Why do you persist in hawking instances of the the same Line Chart SmartShape as if they were different charts?
    Each of (Linechart01, Linechart02, Linechart03, Linechart04) can be transformed into each other using the provided controls.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: v6.3 - Line Charts

I remember discussing elsewhere but can't for the life of me remember where.

Basically many objects in the Content Catalogue are based upon the same SmartShape code but in different formations to help the users see what it could be. Similar if you look at many HTML templates in something like ThemeForest. It'll contain many pages with the same objects but in different layouts, to help visualize what you can do and to a degree save time by picking a design closest to what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    I remember discussing elsewhere but can't for the life of me remember where.
    Basically many objects in the Content Catalogue are based upon the same SmartShape code but in different formations to help the users see what it could be. Similar if you look at many HTML templates in something like ThemeForest. It'll contain many pages with the same objects but in different layouts, to help visualize what you can do and to a degree save time by picking a design closest to what you need.
    The trouble is you are implying to users that there are four choices.

Instead teach us what can be changed in terms of colours (Line, Points, Point label, Point value, Grid lines & Grid labels), noting Points changes are not visible as there is a great big control point in the way; until, that is, you render or select one point and the others then are shown.

Or how you can use the Page & Layer gallery and expand out the Line chart and change colour of separate Value points.

Or use the Line Width to increase the Point.

Or use the Colour editor and select a sub-element to change just the colour of that element (sometimes).

Or how you can invert the chart only with the rotation handle but you cannot flip it unless you select all the sub-elements... and if you do so it all reverts if you change a Value.

Or what the special Names (pointLabel, pointvalue) are / or were meant to do.

Feature Request - Or explain why the values cannot be moved to a different location.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Bug Re: v6.3 - Line Charts

Dear Xara...

Bug - Try to take a Point value below zero. // The Grid Label vanishes. As does the Point and connecting Line(s). All can be restored by elevating the Point value(s).

Feature Request - I would still like to have negative Values. Quite obvious really.

Feature Request - I would still like to have decimal Values. Quite obvious really.
    Update - Using the Text Tool, it is possible to add ".0" after a Point Value (or any decimal value) and drag the point, retaining the decimal accuracy.

Feature Request - Can we have a Xara Widget for Value Pair input (Grid Label, Point Value) collections that can be used to create and edit a Chart.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 31 October 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Info Re: v6.3 - Line Charts

Dear Xara...

For those who may want to control the presentation of the text of any individual Point Value or Grid Label.

Using the Text Tool add a space after the text. Select just the original text and colour, including Text & Paragraph Background. Remove the space. Does not work for the Y-Axis Gridlines text (see following).
    For more advanced manipulation, select the text and change the Style to Normal. Re-introduce the Font and Font Size. Change attributes as needed.

Prepending and Post-pending Point Values is possible as well.

Here is a dog's dinner of an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDLC.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	125475
    Xara - Dog's Dinner Line Chart.xar

Acorn

If we only had 1 version of each smartshape it wouldn't be a true reflection of its capabilities, if we show multiple instances we get complaints that we're 'hawking instances of the the same... SmartShape'. I'm not quite sure what you want.

The shape handles are designed to be as user friendly as possible and we have articles (in progress) which explain what each smartshape does. I haven't had anyone complain about using SmartShapes yet; the tooltips tell you what each handle does when you hover over it.

Negative values is on the list to do and will come soon. I suspect data input as well although that might be a little further in the future. Some SmartShapes use names in their functionality also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    If we only had 1 version of each smartshape it wouldn't be a true reflection of its capabilities, if we show multiple instances we get complaints that we're 'hawking instances of the the same... SmartShape'. I'm not quite sure what you want.
    The shape handles are designed to be as user friendly as possible and we have articles (in progress) which explain what each smartshape does. I haven't had anyone complain about using SmartShapes yet; the tooltips tell you what each handle does when you hover over it.
    Negative values is on the list to do and will come soon. I suspect data input as well although that might be a little further in the future. Some SmartShapes use names in their functionality also.
    Simply what I am getting at Rob is Xara publishes a number of SmartShapes and does not reveal the full range of their capability. Presenting multiple instances does not do meet this purpose.

In 30 minutes of exploring the Line Chart(s), I uncovered a number of emergent properties (bugs) that would never have resulted if fully-formed User Stories accompanied the design feature requests given to the Xara developer. All together, this saves time and refactoring effort to accommodate new features making maintenance, delivery and purpose all the more effective.

Just a thought,
    Acorn