Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default JUST RELEASED: An update to Xara Web Designer

We’ve just released an update to Web Designer Premium. New features include support for Line Charts and other flexible new chart controls, a new style of colored backgrounds for text columns and areas, the usual progress on import & export formats and a handful of small but hopefully useful useability improvements. You can find a summary of these and other new features & content on our website @ https://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/ and full details on all the 16.x updates the Release Notes @ http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/web-designer-16/

If you have an active Update Service and you’re running v16.0 then you should shortly see 16.3 offered as an auto-update. If you’re still on v15 then you will need to re-download Web Designer from https://www.xara.com/web-designer/download/

If your Update Service has expired then you can renew your Update Service / upgrade in order to get this and other updates since your version (go to the Web Designer page on magix.com and click Upgrade).

And as always you can find separate info on what’s new in Xara Cloud @ https://docs.xara.com/latest-updates.

We hope you enjoy the new features.

Kate Moir @ Xara

Default Re: JUST RELEASED: An update to Xara Web Designer

The updates offered are nowhere near sufficient to purchase the new programme for quite probably most of the current users. However you seem to think that we are stupid enough to not notice that once our annual license is expired we are being cut off from support.
    How do I mean?
    Well, let's look at V11 Premium for instance and compare it to Pro X.

I have both. I'm obviously using Pro X however it mostly lacks features from V11 in the Online Content Catalog. In fact I cannot even access the Online Catalog any more since the expiry of the 12 month period. Instead I have to start up V11 and get what I need and copy/paste it to Pro X
    This is extortion at its worst. Something that is available to an earlier release is denied from a later one. It's sort of made me think of other options such as WYSIWYG, Coffeecup or even Wordpress, even though this would have a steep learning curve for my 73 year old brain.

If I had been told that I would need to renew annually to gain access to common features I would have thought long and hard about my future path. When I buy something that comes with access to such features, where no proviso is given prior to the time of purchase that access is going to be cut off sometime later, then I am buying something under false misrepresentation.
    To have to use an older version in order to get something I had paid for with the upgrade is simply disgraceful.

I see the new things in the latest update and have no need for them. I do not wish to buy it, and then perhaps find myself in the same situation next year.
    If you sort out a way to make a true responsive site and to include a proper image gallery which allows the site to be saved/uploaded showing the original image names I may well upgrade BUT I do not like being pushed into doing so by you denying access to essential features already paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    The updates offered are nowhere near sufficient to purchase the new programme for quite probably most of the current users. However you seem to think that we are stupid enough to not notice that once our annual license is expired we are being cut off from support.
    How do I mean?
    Well, let's look at V11 Premium for instance and compare it to Pro X.

I have both. I'm obviously using Pro X however it mostly lacks features from V11 in the Online Content Catalog. In fact I cannot even access the Online Catalog any more since the expiry of the 12 month period. Instead I have to start up V11 and get what I need and copy/paste it to Pro X
    This is extortion at its worst. Something that is available to an earlier release is denied from a later one. It's sort of made me think of other options such as WYSIWYG, Coffeecup or even Wordpress, even though this would have a steep learning curve for my 73 year old brain.

If I had been told that I would need to renew annually to gain access to common features I would have thought long and hard about my future path. When I buy something that comes with access to such features, where no proviso is given prior to the time of purchase that access is going to be cut off sometime later, then I am buying something under false misrepresentation.
    To have to use an older version in order to get something I had paid for with the upgrade is simply disgraceful.

I see the new things in the latest update and have no need for them. I do not wish to buy it, and then perhaps find myself in the same situation next year.
    If you sort out a way to make a true responsive site and to include a proper image gallery which allows the site to be saved/uploaded showing the original image names I may well upgrade BUT I do not like being pushed into doing so by you denying access to essential features already paid for.
    Lynnzer, you have to get in line at the end of the queue.

While you are waiting have a read of https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Service-Cover.
    Search TG for Service Cover; Xara will argue it was all there in the fine print...
    ... I have both XDPX and XWDP. I let XWDP lapse but I was aware and I used the year of access to rescue whatever I could. The lack of common building blocks through the loss of the Online Content Catalogue (OCC) is one of my ardent complaints; it is so trivial.

You can lift Templates from Xara Cloud. XaraTemplates.com has free XBuilder and some Templates. Buying into these never time expires.
    You can use the Local Designs gallery and Disc designs to link your downloaded v11 content directly. The trick is to first use Download all from v11 and read up the above link or elsewhere in TG.

I have invited TGers to contact Magix and request a short period of access to the OCC so you can Download all.
    Have a go; one day MagiXara might take heed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Screwed then eh? Maybe they think they are better than their competitors or just don't care enough to get an advantage on them.
    Another thing, and one that's really annoying. How in hell do I prevent the pop-up ugrade reminder box from opening when I open the program?
    It only rubs salt into the wound. Maybe a change of a key in the Registry or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    Another thing, and one that's really annoying. How in hell do I prevent the pop-up ugrade reminder box from opening when I open the program?
    It only rubs salt into the wound. Maybe a change of a key in the Registry or something?
    Do you like joining queues? https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...rvice-reminder.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat