Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JUST RELEASED: An update to Xara Designer Pro

We’ve just released an update to Xara Designer Pro X. New features include support for Line Charts and other flexible new chart controls, a new style of colored backgrounds for text columns and areas, ‘auto-bleed’ for those of you doing commercial printing from Designer Pro, the usual progress on import & export formats and a handful of small but hopefully useful usability improvements. You can find a summary of these and other new features & content on our website @ https://www.xara.com/designer-pro/whats-new/ and full details on all the 16.x updates in the Release Notes @ http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/designer-pro-x16/.

If you have an active Update Service and you’re running v16.0 then you should shortly see 16.3 offered as an auto-update. If you’re still on v15 then you will need to re-download Designer Pro from https://www.xara.com/designer-pro/download/.

If your Update Service has expired then you can renew your Update Service / upgrade in order to get this and other updates since your version (go to the Designer Pro page on magix.com and click Upgrade).

And as always you can find separate info on what’s new in Xara Cloud @ https://docs.xara.com/latest-updates.

We hope you enjoy the new features.

Kate Moir @ Xara
    Last edited by webmaster; 30 October 2019 at 02:34 PM.

Bug Re: JUST RELEASED: An "Update" to Xara Designer Pro

Kate, here we go with another Xara update rollercoaster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-30 15.49.22.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	125455

A screen that tells you it is removing a product without advising which version is fraughtful. I have versions 11, 12, 15 & 16 installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-30 15.50.23.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	125456 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-30 16.11.04.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	125457

Another two screens that tell you two products are being removed without advising how they are to be restored is disturbing. The Content Pack is still at version 1.0.0.0, yet for my versions I have five different filesizes for seemingly the same Content Pack and in total 14 "versions" of the two products sitting in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\MAGIX Downloads\Installationsmanager.

An install that deletes all of my Backups is a disaster. How? Why?
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\16\Backups\ is bare!
    Update: Luckily I have found them all safe in the correct place. It was just Xara forgetting all my carefully crafted settings - again!

An "update" that requires knowledge of the Serial Number you have conveniently just removed from my machine is less than helpful. I recovered it from my version 15 Camelot Debug Information (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+1) and even then, as that screen does not allow copy, I have to type it in. Yes, by all means go the Magix account, etc and get it from there.Just tot up all the time you are squandering here.

A HELP > PDF Manual selection that now goes for an on-line Magix download, each and every time. What were you thinking? (http://dl03.magix.net/manual_designerprox16_en.pdf).

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 30 October 2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Recovery of backup folder. Sanity (almost) restored.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: JUST RELEASED: An "Update" to Xara Designer Pro

What a mess; it simply isn't worth it. Just disappointed!
    ~Fred

I take Acorns response and it's very valid. However on the plus side there are three issues I like:

1: Text, double, triple & quad clicking to select a word, a sentence and a paragraph.
    2: Much improved svg export.
    3: Retention of the rotation angle (my favourite, a very small inclusion but a very important one to the way I work)

These aren't only web site improvements but effect all users across the board.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I take Acorns response and it's very valid. However on the plus side there are three issues I like:

1: Text, double, triple & quad clicking to select a word, a sentence and a paragraph.
    2: Much improved svg export.
    3: Retention of the rotation angle (my favourite, a very small inclusion but a very important one to the way I work)

These aren't only web site improvements but effect all users across the board.
    Egg, I hadn't even got to looking at the program, just spending 30 minutes setting it all back for my use.

The multi-click selection of text has been there forever. What is seemingly new is the dragging part. It is fine for double-click word selection but does not behave for the others.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I went to renew yesterday and it was USD99. I got distracted by domestic issues, and when I went to renew today it's now USD129. What the? Is it going to keep going up every couple of days?

Considering that Affinity Designer is $79 for a new user, XDP seems a fair bit overpriced. I still like XDP but after having purchased/renewed it every year since version 3, I'm beginning to have my doubts about doing it.

= Steve

Interesting. I have 3 days left on my update service but (besides the price increasing) I am unable to download the new update. XDP says my version is the latest.

I'm confused.

= Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevegill View Post
    Interesting. I have 3 days left on my update service but (besides the price increasing) I am unable to download the new update. XDP says my version is the latest.
    I'm confused.
    = Steve
    Steve, Magixara rollouts are "progressive" and can take days. Go to https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/download/ and download from there.

Xara will probably say that's why I had the above problems as I didn't wait for my turn; I took the information provided as a genuine "update", not expecting a total re-install.

Acorn

Thanks Acorn, I'll do that.

= Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Steve, Magixara rollouts are "progressive" and can take days. Go to https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/download/ and download from there.

Xara will probably say that's why I had the above problems as I didn't wait for my turn; I took the information provided as a genuine "update", not expecting a total re-install.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

I downloaded the new version. It worked a treat, although I'm also confused why it had to uninstall XDP first. Anyway I have the latest version now so thanks again.

= Steve