Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Still having issues

Hi, all. Well, I'm back again with questions about why Xara is again acting like a female dog...

I'm once again inking in a pencil drawing that I've scanned. The performance of the pen is VERY slow at times and laggy. Plus, if I use my pen to, say, select an ellipse to try to alter it, the ellipse menu pops up, and I can't do anything - I have to use my mouse to alter the ellipse. This is crazy! I never had this issue on my old computer, which was 32-bit. When I got a new computer, which is 64-bit, and downloaded Xara 10 into it, I started having issues after awhile. Is there a way to reload Xara as a 32-bit into my computer? Maybe that would help? Thanks for any advice you can give me. This issue is driving me nuts and I'm thinking I'm going to have to ditch Xara altogether and try a different program.

Default Re: Still having issues

I'm not sure reverting to 32bit xara would help

the ellipse issue sounds like your pen is right-clicking which would bring up the menu, so I would be checking your pen settings to see what activates right-click - a possibility is a long/double click and if so, maybe the sensitivity of the pen click needs adjusting, or the settings changing

is the pen slow and laggy with other programs ?

I forget which tablet you use - make sure you have up to date drivers - if you use a tablet whose drivers have not been updated for a year or two that could be a problem in itself if you [now] use up to date windows 10 - the last two major updates to windows 10 have made significant changes to the way the OS 'handles drawing'

all that said I often find xara slow and laggy with my wacom - cintiq and intuos - if i sketch/draw fast - after a while the brush engine cannot keep up with redrawing the strokes on screen in real time - but if you are taking it 'slow and steady' then unless you are using complicated custom brushes you should not have this problem

P.S. - and check to make sure your tablet properly supports 64bit, again that is a driver thing, if it only has 32bit drivers they are not likely to work well at all
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, Handrawn! How do I check if my tablet supports 64-bit? It's a Wacom 21ux.

I found this download patch here - should I use it? https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Ta...er-63151.shtml

Also there's this download from Wacom, but I'm not sure it's for my Cintiq. I bought it way back in 2008 or 2009. https://www.wacondriverss.com/2018/0...0-drivers.html

Plus, I just checked my Wacom Tablet Properties, and the pen is set on Double Click and Right Click.

I would never recommend downloading drivers from anywhere other than the offical makers site and BTW, wacomdriverss.com is not wacom.com, even though they are using the wacom logo and similar sounding name - caveat emptor, even if free

go to this link https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/...drivers#latest

look on the back of your tablet your model number will probably be DTZ-2100, if it is search DTZ-2100 - Cintiq 21UX 1st Gen which will bring up the driver for download
    if your model is DTK-2100, search DTK-2100 - Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen instead

the drivers should install with wacon tablet properties that you already have which enables you to set preferences, and maybe wacom desktop centre which you can use to update as necessary directly from wacom although since your tablet is ten years old and so most likely DTZ-2100, and the latest driver is dec 2015, there are unlikely to be any future updates and herein may lie the cause of some of your issues

these drivers will take care of whether your tablet fully supports 64bit, again it may not do if it dates that far back and is DTZ-2100 since there are no new drivers and in that case there is not much that can be done except either get a new tablet or, as you mentioned, move to another program if there is one suitable with which the tablet 'behaves'

unless you actually wish to right click using the pen I'd disable that - I have both pen buttons disabled because I rotate the pen as I draw and am forever clicking them accidentaly
    Last edited by handrawn; 24 October 2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: K not X
    Nothing lasts forever...

Okay - just had a chat with Cintiq. The chat guy said that the Cintiq I have is 32-bit. He suggested that I open the Wacom Preference File Utility and click on the Remove button under My Preferences. I did that and tried Xara again, but it has the same issues. Also, earlier, I downloaded the latest driver for my Cintiq and it did no good at all. (BTW, my other art program is Photoshop Elements 4, and my Cintiq has no issues with that at all - the pen works just fine, no lag, etc.)

So now I wonder if the issue is that:

1. I had set my Xara Designer ProX10 program to 64-bit when I downloaded it to my new computer, which is 64-bit (my old computer was 32-bit). I had absolutely no issues with Xara when I ran it as 32-bit on my old 32-bit computer. Since my Cintiq is 32-bit, could setting Xara to 64-bit be the problem?

2. On my Xara CD disc, it says this: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1. My old computer had Vista. My new one has Windows 10. So could that be the issue? This version of Xara is simply incompatible with Windows 10?

Thanks again for any advice you good folks can offer! This is driving me nuts!~

ok the tablet works fine with PSE4 - that is a raster prgram not vector - if you can draw in PSE4 better than you can in xara, or at least without the lag then it may be that xara is at fault - I would not expect lag in PSE4 the program has far less work to do behind the scenes when drawing

you could try switching to 32bit xara 10, and/or download a trial of the latest xara [which is 64bit only], no real way of telling for sure unless you try

xara 10 is not itself incompatible with windows 10 - you are not alone in using it - but the issues you are having are specific to the tablet use
    Nothing lasts forever...

P.S. - i suppose you could try running both your drivers and xara in vista compatibility mode if all else fails

and another thing - I am assuming that the new computer has at least the same spec as the old one re processor and memory, and it is not overloaded with programs running in the background
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    P.S. - i suppose you could try running both your drivers and xara in vista compatibility mode if all else fails

and another thing - I am assuming that the new computer has at least the same spec as the old one re processor and memory, and it is not overloaded with programs running in the background

My new computer has a lot more memory than my old one. I don't think it's overloaded with programs (some time back I disabled a lot of stuff it came with, such as games like Candy Crush that I didn't ask for).

Is there a way to switch Xara to 32-bit without uninstalling/reinstalling it? Thanks again!

you should be able to install them both at the same time as they install in different directories - though you may find only one will open files automatically, probably the second one you install
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you should be able to install them both at the same time as they install in different directories - though you may find only one will open files automatically, probably the second one you install
    Okay, so I can install Xara again and set it at 32-bit? Cool. I'll give it a try sometime this week. Thanks so much, handrawn!