Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to remove pixelization enlarging small image?

'twas the way you said it

who are any of us to decide it would be a waste of time when we don't have enough info to make that call - I have lots of images that I have no idea where they came from and the likes of tineye draw blank - and it could be a treasured family photo or such - we don't know do we...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

There is a proprietary format called Deja Vu that uses affine transforms (maths) to encode images. It is the closest thing to curved edges and not pixelation you will find. There used to be a free editor available.

Use some of the on-line searches for images and you may find a larger version.

What resolution is the image and what is your desktop resolution?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

DJV[U] files...? that's a format for mixed content, so in that sense similar to PDF, possibly epub formats too...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm a great believer in Shutterstock.com They have an excellent selection of images, and if take one of their packages the images are very reasonable. Something like $10-15 per download. Life is short.

whilst I agree with life being short I can't help but feel that the consensus of this thread is that the OP should be doing something other than what they actually asked for help about
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    whilst I agree with life being short I can't help but feel that the consensus of this thread is that the OP should be doing something other than what they actually asked for help about
    I'd say my advice was very much to the point. If you have a better solution, I'd be happy to hear and it I'm sure the OP would too.

All of the 'solutions' to enlarging images from smaller to larger sizes involve losing definition resulting in blurry images or heavily processed imagery that are unnatural - usually sharpening techniques of the blurred images. Some years ago there was a flurry of activity based around fractal encoding of images so they could be zoomed in infinitely without pixelating, but I'm not sure these days where that software went and I don't think that technique could create detail where there was none.

This is again a thread where a OP asks a question and leaves us to wonder the exact circumstances behind the question so that we can offer the best way forward even if it's not exactly the answer that the OP wanted to hear.

Often the best answer to a question is the one that provides the best overall solution rather than simply answers a question that may be unanswerable or indeed the wrong question for the circumstance.

[edit: My guess is that Mirkosoft may want to enlarge old 8-bit and 16-bit game imagery from the past ]

thats a fair answer Paul and a whole load better than a brusque 'don't waste time doing anything else' - you may 'know better' but like you now say, you are guessing, we are all guessing...

that said

Often the best answer to a question is the one that provides the best overall solution rather than simply answers a question that may be unanswerable or indeed the wrong question for the circumstance
    it is impossible to evaluate the best solution with insufficient information
    Nothing lasts forever...

PS if you want to know where fractal encoding went, follow my link in post #3
    Nothing lasts forever...

You can try Reshade from http://www.reshade.com/ which is for upscale images. You have to make sure you go to this website because there is another Reshade for game development else where on the internet.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    You can try Reshade from http://www.reshade.com/ which is for upscale images. You have to make sure you go to this website because there is another Reshade for game development else where on the internet.

Ray
    Ray, are these guys safe? Whenever I see "free" software I wonder where the monetisation comes from to make the software viable.

Please make sure this software is legit before downloading - nobody wants to download free extras that are up to no good.