Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Exporting to SVG without exporting the page?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to export something to SVG without exporting the page/canvas itself?
    I'm used to exporting images to .png and .jpg where I select what I want to export and export it. The result is that the exported image only contains what I selected.
    However, when I do this and export to SVG the result is always the entire drawing including whatever page/canvas it was on and it contains all other objects on the canvas.
    I did not find any hints in the export options dialog. I could of course manually resize the page to whatever objects I want to export which is a bit tedious. My current workaround is to open the SVG in Inkscape and go to Document Properties > Page tab > Custom size > Resize page to drawing or selection. If there is no built-in option in Xara I can just continue to use that workaround instead.
    I'm using XDP X9 if that matters.

Default Re: Exporting to SVG without exporting the page?

SVG Object exports have only just been fixed in version 16.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The option to just export a single object to SVG wasn't introduced until v16.1 or .2, I forget which. X9 won't do it I'm sorry to tell you.

copy paste it to a new blank xar document - export it is what I do
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the answers. I'll just continue using the workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    copy paste it to a new blank xar document - export it is what I do
    Blank Photo document is what I use...for many types of exports. No page size and so it always uses objects' bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Blank Photo document is what I use...for many types of exports. No page size and so it always uses objects' bounds.
    Never thought of that.

Great idea as I now have two uses for the Blank Photo template: import of images, export of SVG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

yes blank photo if page size is an issue
    Nothing lasts forever...

Blank document doesn't work as far as I know, the page size is also included.
    Mike's paste into a blank photo is a great suggestion.
    However I really like the v16 Export Selected Objects Only. A big improvement. I can just select the required objects on a working document and export easy-peasy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	125381  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

sorry egg but I'm not with you there - the issue as I understand it is to export a vector svg by selection without selecting everything else automatically as well
    if I select the vector object[s] I wish to export, press ctrl+c, ctrl+n, ctrl+v, shift+ctrl+e, and export svg I get the selected object[s] only
    I don't use blank photo because it is not my default template, and so it would slow the process down unecessarily [for me]
    page size does not come into it if it is a vector, it just imports into illustrator/inkscape as object[s]

this is with designer pro 15.1 which does not have the options that are new in ver 16 that I grant would be quicker still

having checked it out I can't see that paste into blank photo document gives any advantage in this instance
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 October 2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: photo
    Nothing lasts forever...