Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Starting with laser cutting acrylic - How to easy create a contour cutting line?

Mr. Moderator Emeritus Dude, Sir
    ~Fred

Default Re: Starting with laser cutting acrylic - How to easy create a contour cutting line?

on the other hand as they were different questions [aka topics] maybe they could have been left separate.... c'est ca
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm totally confused now .....

I don't understand what you're attempting to achieve in post # 15 macfee?
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 October 2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

it was clearer when the threads were separate - it is now a non-sequitur, a completely different question

he wants a cutting outline around the shape - I suggested using a contour in post #19 - can't think of doing it any other way in xara [other than manually], but there may be one....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it was clearer when the threads were separate - it is now a non-sequitur, a completely different question

he wants a cutting outline around the shape - I suggested using a contour in post #19 - can't think of doing it any other way in xara [other than manually], but there may be one....
    That's the way I've used for vinyl signs and waterjet cutting. Works well. There's a but...

In the image below, I've done a contour around a vector version (that I traced from a larger version of the logo), used a 5mm offset, single step contour, no fill with outline. Selected all the nodes with the shape tool except the ones around the tag hole, and for my uses, used a spot color named CutContour for the outline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000279.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	125392

Which works fine for vinyl and waterjet cutting. Here's the "But." Depending on how the cutting is being done, the inner corners of the contour may need to be rounded to no smaller than the cutter's diameter unless the cutting software will properly make allowances else those sharp corners may look funky.
    Last edited by mwenz; 19 October 2019 at 03:13 PM.

thanks mike...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    That's the way I've used for vinyl signs and waterjet cutting. Works well. There's a but...

In the image below, I've done a contour around a vector version (that I traced from a larger version of the logo), used a 5mm offset, single step contour, no fill with outline. Selected all the nodes with the shape tool except the ones around the tag hole, and for my uses, used a spot color named CutContour for the outline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000279.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	125392

Which works fine for vinyl and waterjet cutting. Here's the "But." Depending on how the cutting is being done, the inner corners of the contour may need to be rounded to no smaller than the cutter's diameter unless the cutting software will properly make allowances else those sharp corners may look funky.
    Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow with a fresh brain. How to convert an image into a vector?

How to convert an image into a vector
    Possibly an odd occasion that Xara's trace can help?

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host