Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How to find templates I saved on my laptop

Hi Chris
    Yes was def' in the old folder I followed the instructions exactly.

I don't understand acorns post as from what I understand that was how to find the ENG folder.

What I don't understand is where to put the ENG folder once I have found it as I copied to to my desktop initially.

I'm sure Xara will need to access it (the ENG folder) to update/edit my site?

Thank you Dave
    Last edited by Davora; 16 October 2019 at 08:32 AM.

It's very similar to retrieving the fold, just a slightly different location:

Open Windows Explorer and expand 'This PC'
    Click C: drive
    On the Ribbon (top menu bar) click 'View' > 'Hidden Items'
    Open Users > (Account Name) > AppData > Local > Xara > WeDesigner > 15 > Cache > Designs

Paste/copy the whole 'eng' folder to the 'Designs' folder. Yes there will already be an eng folder there, but it's fine to let Windows copy into the same place and just choose 'skip' when Windows wants to overwrite existing files.

Hi Chris
    I have opened all the above in the cache folder there is no designs folder only a folder in there with fonts, there is not a folder (yellow) called designs ,will it still be OK to just copy the ENG folder, I take it that it will still work OK?

We are nearly there!

Thanks again!

DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	125368

Hmmm. You may want wait for confirmation, but I see know reason why you can't just create the folder designs in cache, and then drop the eng file in there.

Hi Chris
    Thanks I'll try that & let you know how I get on.
    Dave

Dave, as you have discovered, Xara's choice of adding its download content into the appdata local folder pathing is not at all sensible as MS doesn't treat it as your data and happily removes it on a rebuild.

Wherever you have located your recovered ENG folder, open XWDP > Local designs gallery > Disc designs > Add folder to gallery, where folder is your current ENG path.

Don't leave ENG on your Desktop.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, if you move the default location and then download additional content won't Xara dump it into the default location anyway?

I know this doesn't apply to Dave as he doesn't have access to the online catalogue, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Acorn, if you move the default location and then download additional content won't Xara dump it into the default location anyway? I know this doesn't apply to Dave as he doesn't have access to the online catalogue, just curious.
    Yes it will but I was future-proofing the situation and handing the case when the owner was no longer in Update service cover. Simply copy over the new ENG to your safe location. Alternatively, put everything into the Xara ENG path and occasionally copy it all to a safe place.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Chris & Acorn
    That is all working BRILLIANT, thanks so much!!

I did post about how to integrate a real estate theme into my existing site, do you happen to know if I build a separate site & link it to a place holder that will work ?

I guess not, I guess I would have to integrate pages into my site, my ideas was to drag a Xara real estate theme into my existing pages & then link that theme to a place-holder or navigate from a button on my nav bar do you know if that would work?

Many Thanks for all your help!!

Regards Dave
    PS I have copied the ENG folder onto a USB stick as a back up!

Quote Originally Posted by Davora View Post
    I guess not, I guess I would have to integrate pages into my site, my ideas was to drag a Xara real estate theme into my existing pages & then link that theme to a place-holder or navigate from a button on my nav bar do you know if that would work?
    My normal approach is to build two separate sites as they are cleaner and easier to maintain apart.

This is Key
    Publish one as the main site; this has a first page named index.
    Publish the secondary site with its first page as anything other than index (e.g., estate_home), noting all secondary pages must have different page names to the main site.
    For NavBars and buttons between the two sites, use the Link to Web or Email address with the page name and its extension (e.g., estate_home.htm from the main site and index.htm to the main site).
    You publish to the same folder. You would then see index_htm_files/ and estate_home_htm_files/ folders and lots of *.htm files in the one location.

You could create a sub-folder estate/ and publish the secondary site to there. Links to it would need to include the folder (e.g. estate/estate_home.htm); the one slight advantage is you could revert back to index for the first page.

I choose the same publish destination as the sites then seem to be integrated and the URLs are smaller.

Acorn