Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Text inside groups for websites

Dear Xara...

XDPXV16.2 PDF Manual states:
    Text inside groups for websites When a document is exported as a website, all groups get exported as images. So any text inside groups can’t be selected and copied as text by a visitor to your site.
    I am confused.

I have a one-line Text Inside with a Rectangle, centred H&V and on publish, it renders as <span> for the box ad a text <div>.
    Adding a Shadow to ensure an image is rendered still returns selectable text.

Could the Help and Manual be rewritten.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Text inside groups for websites

Is that text inside a rectangle? I don't think that's classed as a group and would export the objects individually

Info Re: Text inside groups for websites

Rob, that is what I said.

The detail still applies to a range of Shapes: Discontent.xar.

When the list of exceptions gets too big...

...do note, it is working in a proper way in that text is text; it is just the detail in the manual.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm slightly confused, the text isn't inside the group though? It will use the shape of the group as the boundaries for the text area but still remains separate from it, in which case the help remains correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    I'm slightly confused, the text isn't inside the group though? It will use the shape of the group as the boundaries for the text area but still remains separate from it, in which case the help remains correct.
    Rob, perhaps you can provide an example of what "text inside groups for websites" is representing?

I can add a Contour or Bevel to a Text Inside construct, which seems to satisfy the prose and the text is still text.

If, in general, I Group Objects with Text then the export to a website is an image.
    That is why Soft-Grouping exists.

If I try the second part of using a special Name of HTMLTEXT to a Group with a Text Inside construct, the Name does not stick and I am still left with an image that includes the text.

My last beef is the statement "Browsers can’t render rotated text". Browsers can; Xara cannot.

Acorn

Text inside shapes (and by extension, text inside groups) is referring to how it appears rather than how it is 'constructed' within Xara. It's almost like you say, soft-grouping with a special repel applied.

If you open the Page and Layer Gallery, you'll see there a text area and the shape or group within that. If it was the other way around - text within a group then it'll get exported as mentioned in the manual.

Smile Re: Text inside groups for websites

Rob, thank you for your patience.

The confusion, on my part, was the mention of Text inside in the heading. I assumed it meant the Text Inside construct. The expression has been somewhat overloaded.

I now understand where and how to use HtmlText. Thanks.
    Pity it's use negate HtmlBlockText as the HTML output stays as <span>s.

Just rotating text as text remaining!

Acorn