Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Windows Segoe UI Emoji Color Font

When I cope and paste: 🕐 (https://emojipedia.org/clock-face-one-oclock/) in a Windows application I get the clock (and in this browser).

When I open Xara Designer Pro X and select the Segoe UI Emoji font and then copy and paste it, I get 2 empty blocks (so 2 a unicode character consisting of 2 bytes which is not recognized by the system and therefore represented as grey bordered box)

What is the step to make this work in Xara Designer Pro X ?

Default Re: Windows Segoe UI Emoji Color Font

I can confirm this does not work. I will move this thread to Dear Xara the forum to report problems and request features.

All I can manage is created a small box, and in its Placeholder Bode Code, putting 🕐.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Segoe UI Emoji is a color font using the COLR color format. It should be the easiest color format to support. But SVG color fonts should also be added at that time. If Xara will add color font support anyway.

QXP supports the three main color font formats, COLR, SVG, SBIX. But it takes OpenType color transformations due to how they are encoded. There are, or were, some fonts redone, like Adobe's EmojiOne color SVG font, that has had fallback (regular, non-colored) glyphs added and like Adobe's is on github. The fallback glyphs work in Affinity applications (which also do not support color fonts) but I don't know if they work in Xara applications.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Segoe UI Emoji is a color font using the COLR color format. It should be the easiest color format to support. But SVG color fonts should also be added at that time. If Xara will add color font support anyway.

QXP supports the three main color font formats, COLR, SVG, SBIX. But it takes OpenType color transformations due to how they are encoded. There are, or were, some fonts redone, like Adobe's EmojiOne color SVG font, that has had fallback (regular, non-colored) glyphs added and like Adobe's is on github. The fallback glyphs work in Affinity applications (which also do not support color fonts) but I don't know if they work in Xara applications.
    I was playing with colour fonts only yesterday and now know why I wasn't getting anywhere fast.

Thanks mwenz,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've used color fonts on precisely 3 jobs over the past 3 years. None were an emoji font.

They are encoded in such a way that Xara applications do not understand. The screen shot below is from QXP, note the red box at the lower right corner. This type of encoding requires Xara to expand its use of OT Features in all likelihood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000268.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	125344

I think that while color fonts would benefit print work by their inclusion by Xara, I feel their main use would benefit the web-side of things. It might open up a can of worms for documenting which can be used and why some will fail on the web. For instance, not all color fonts have fallback glyphs for older and/or non-compliant browsers and failure would generate support issues.

Really, if Xara would switch its type engine to use Harfbuzz, which is OpenSource, all this and more (like rtl languages, complex ltr scripts, etc.) would be easily possible.

This will not work with the color because as Mike points out, Xara does not support color fonts.

But you can use Windows 10 Character Map app to find a character, then use the Upper or Lower option to copy the symbol to the clipboard, then paste into Xara and format the rectangle as Segoe UI Emoji.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Character Map.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	125345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	characters.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	125346  

Yes I believe this is already logged with our developers, but I can't say if or when it would be fixed.

You can also press windows key + . in win 10 to bring up emoji menu.