Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Old map-making

Default Old map-making

Recently an old map was donated to a UK charity shop, it dates from the 17th Century. I am in awe at how good it is. I have no idea how they could have made it (even if California is shown as an island). Enjoy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49934594

Default Re: Old map-making

Auctioned for £3,500, expected £600.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Auctioned for £3,500, expected £600.

Acorn
    Indeed, but that's unimportant compared to the idea that in 1623 they could make the map at all.

why not - they had lots and lots of information coming in, some accurate, some not; explorers and mariners have been making maps and charts for a very very long time and trade routes give an added need for accuracy - just needs someone with the right backing to bring it all together...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    why not - they had lots and lots of information coming in, some accurate, some not; explorers and mariners have been making maps and charts for a very very long time and trade routes give an added need for accuracy - just needs someone with the right backing to bring it all together...

I'll just continue to be impressed. YMMV.

be impressed, it's impressive; don't run away with the idea that I think it is not

people in 1623 were just as clever as we are now though when it came to processing the information that was available to them, with the technology they had

it's the 'at all' that I took issue with
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...