Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Re: BBS in a website

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Could you be more specific, Egg? On Android it just scrolls nicely.
    Here too.

some people have used nabble to do forum with an Iframe.
    https://www.nabble.com/

I have never done this just remember reading about it on here.

You may want to do a search on talkgraphicsfor nabbler because if I remember right the person doing it need help in setting up the code to have it work on variants. I think Acorn helped them out.

Ray

Sorry for the late reply. I was talking about on my iPhone. I used to have an old Android phone for testing purposes but it's given up the ghost.

Perhaps Gary could test this on his iPhone?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. I was talking about on my iPhone. I used to have an old Android phone for testing purposes but it's given up the ghost.

Perhaps Gary could test this on his iPhone?
    Most of my website problems seem to come from trying to accommodate mobile devices. The Nabble forum plug-in works fine in this web until I try to include it in the 'phone version, then it double exposes in the "Main" version. I have found that almost all websites open on my 'phone, though usually too small to read easily. However, if I rotate the 'phone to horizontal it reads easily. So, why are we greatly increasing our work developing a Main and a Mobile version of each web?

Scrolls fine in Safari on my iPhone X.

Most of my website problems seem to come from trying to accommodate mobile devices. The Nabble forum plug-in works fine in this web until I try to include it in the 'phone version, then it double exposes in the "Main" version
    Some Widgets/Plugins will not work correctly with variants. A simple workaround is to publish the widget in a separate document without any variants using, for example, a subdomain (e.g. https://myforum.mydomain) with (optionally) scale-to-fit-width; you can then call 'myforum' from your primary website (e.g. https://mydomain) for each variant; standard menu buttons etc. You can style both sites to match (page size, colours etc.).

The approach appears to work well for some widgets. See previous post: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...hare-it-as-one

The upside would be you are managing your forum just once and likely it will scale correctly across multiple devices. You can choose the make 'myforum' a supersite too, which gives you animation options.

Cannot tell if the approach would be successful with the Nabble forum, but worth a try.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    I have found that almost all websites open on my 'phone, though usually too small to read easily. However, if I rotate the 'phone to horizontal it reads easily. So, why are we greatly increasing our work developing a Main and a Mobile version of each web?
    Good question. I guess that's why websites increasingly have hamburger menus instead of the regular ones with mouseover effects that complicate browsing on mobile devices.

One advantage of a mobile version, though, is that it allows a visitor immediate (not having to rotate the device) and better readable (larger fonts and often less text) access to the site.

Scrolls fine in Safari on my iPhone X.
    Thanks for that Gary, it appears Apple has sorted out a long standing issue. Unfortunately it doesn't on earlier versions of ios for example, my iPad is long in the tooth and won't update beyond ios 10. Similarly my iPhone 5 won't update beyond ios 12, so on neither of my devices does the iframe scroll, only the page. So this needs to be born in mind.

Here's a page with a cludgy workaround.

Here's a video of the page scrolling on an iPad, NOT the iframe.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Some Widgets/Plugins will not work correctly with variants. A simple workaround is to publish the widget in a separate document without any variants using, for example, a subdomain (e.g. https://myforum.mydomain) with (optionally) scale-to-fit-width; you can then call 'myforum' from your primary website (e.g. https://mydomain) for each variant; standard menu buttons etc. You can style both sites to match (page size, colours etc.).

The approach appears to work well for some widgets. See previous post: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...hare-it-as-one

The upside would be you are managing your forum just once and likely it will scale correctly across multiple devices. You can choose the make 'myforum' a supersite too, which gives you animation options.

Cannot tell if the approach would be successful with the Nabble forum, but worth a try.

Gary
    Thanks, Gary, this is obviously an elegant solution. However, at my skill level, (low) it will take a bit of experimentation before implementation. I'll let you all know how it works out.

For instance, as it now stands I have introduced a Nabble forum form in each variant, Main and Mobile. When published the page shows only blank space where the Nabble form should appear. If I try to edit the form, I get a message that I can do that only with the "full" version.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit widgit.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	125335 Do you think that putting the Nabble form in a separate subdomain will remove that restriction?

For instance, as it now stands I have introduced a Nabble forum form in each variant, Main and Mobile. When published the page shows only blank space where the Nabble form should appear. If I try to edit the form, I get a message that I can do that only with the "full" version. Do you think that putting the Nabble form in a separate subdomain will remove that restriction?
    Best to create a test by placing your Nabble form in a separate XAR doc, attach it to your reply here and I can take a look for you.

Gary